Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

635nm laser diode driver

some 635nm diodes arrived today (7mW rated). Can I use the driver from 5mW laser modules (AixiZ/Sure) to power them at reasonable current?

yes you can, you may want to check that they don't output any more then 40ma though (with a load).

thank you for the quick reply! I thought of driving it @ 45mA or so.
The driver seems to be PD feedback regulated, so I can´t check this with a dummy load.

45ma should be fine for those diodes, i think they have a max of 50 or so

what about pinout? datasheet said like dvd-diodes with case negative, but I powered 2 diodes, first with 30mA then with 50mA according to this, but NOTHING happened. No LED, no Laser, not even a faint red led.

HIMNL9

Your ones are TL or TR, as end of the part number ?

As you can see in the datasheet, they have the LD chip reversed, the TL is case positive, where the TR is case negative .....

Seller claims it´s TL, but it obviously is not the "case" - thanx alot, I don´t have much time left today but I will try tomorrow and post the results.

HIMNL9

Just as suggestion, use one of these that you have already tried, and check with a DMM in diode or low ohm position, between pins 1 and 2 ..... at the right polarity, you must see some dim light, and in diode position, usually the current is not enough for damage the diode (if is not already dead, ofcourse)

Ok, now I got some time to check those with a multimeter.
You are right: They are case positive! Now I got 2 635nm LEDs. Thank you very much.
At least there are still 4 untouched laser diodes...