Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

635nm 5mw laser pointer 1XAAA 1.5V

Today I realized that this monday is a friend's birthday. She is a very curious girl that was amazed when I showed her my lasers because she asked me to do that(I only have a dilda and a 16X homemade burner). So I thought that a laser could be a great present...
Luckily I was just trying to build a small 635nm pointer, so I thought... this one will be for her.

I bought a small host from ledshoppe:
http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/ledp/LP1064.htm
Too bad that it hasn't got a switch but....

I disassembled it and saw how easy is to attach an aixiz module inside.
This is the schematic:
2z4epaa.jpg

As you can see, is as easy as screwing the head to the back of the module through the hole of the host. Threre's no space for a heatsink, but for low powered lasers I think it's fine.

The secnd surprise came when I analized the driver that came with the host. It turned out to be just a boost regulator from 1.5V to 3V. My laser diode had to run between 2.2 and 2.7v, at 40-50mA... so using ohm's law for 50mA at 2.4 V, I took a potentiometer adjusted it, connected in series with my test load, that also drops 2.4V, and... 52 stable milliamps!!!! I tested it for about 5 minutes and it ended droping to 48mA after that...
Even if this is not stable enought, I doubt that the laser diode will ever get more than 55mA or less than 40, which "should" be safe...  so I used this driver so I can use this laser with just an AAA battery.
The next thing to do was cutting an aixiz back to use as a separator to hold the driver in place. That was the unic machining step I had to do, just using a metal handsaw!!!
I connected everything, soldered the diode and screwed the head without twisting the wires, as the driver was free to twist. Then I just pressed the driver into his original housing, added a bit of solder to its back to improve contact with the battery and host (ground) and as this host hasn't got a switch, I covered the threads of the battery compartment with teflon tape to ensure that it wouldn't make contact until completely screwed. IT LASED!!!
Here are the pictures:
5owpdy.jpg

5y4zs8.jpg

2yuhzjb.jpg

315bqxg.jpg

2m7awox.jpg

Sorry, i haven't got pictures of how it looks inside. I don't want to disassemble it...

Now all I need is a focusing ring befre this monday... I'll see what can i do.

Re: Lipstick 635nm 5mw laser pointer, 1XAAA!

Nice, including driver :)

I think you could make a heatsink, but it would be hard. You may make over the host, but it will look crap.

jonasa0601 said:
Nice, including driver :)

I think you could make a heatsink, but it would be hard. You may make over the host, but it will look crap.

I have been playing with this baby for more than 20 mins in 3-4 min runs, and it doesn't even get a bit warm, it's always the same temperature. I think this won't need a heatsink, the module is enough.

give her the dilda and REALLY make her day.

oopsie.gif

GooeyGus said:
give her the dilda and REALLY make her day.

oopsie.gif

I'm actually going to put this one into a dildo case (with a cardboard tube and an egg holder), with a vibrator motor and a circuit so it suddenly turns on when I give it to her...

I love making presents like this, once I gave a videogame to a friend... but i printed a pr0n movie cover and swapped it. His face was like :eek:, then like  :mad: and after opening the case like  :D.... but it's a present he'll never forget.

Could you use the driver for a LPC diode? I mean, putting out 200mW or something like that?

I think it gets too warm..

jonasa0601 said:
Could you use the driver for a LPC diode? I mean, putting out 200mW or something like that?

I think it gets too warm..

Hmm i think it could be done, but the current won't be as stable as it would be with a real driver.
But for that powers, a heatsink is a must, so i think this host is not suitable

kmac11

After reading the topic title I had though you managed to use a lipstick/chapstic case as a host. Ahh if only...

kmac11 said:
After reading the topic title I had though you managed to use a lipstick/chapstic case as a host. Ahh if only...

It's because this host is called "lipstick size 3W flashlight", and to catch attention

I also thought it was going to be in an ACTUAL lipstick tube :p I then saw this was not the case, screamed "FAIL!" at my computer screen, and promptly left.