Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

5W blue wont power on

Throchmorton

About two months ago i bought a 5w blue laser pointer, i installed the batteries in what i still believe to be the correct orientation after charging them until at full charge, after loading up my batteries and attempting to power it on nothing seemed to happen, i unaware of the dangers it posed to my laser flipped the batteries to see if that was the issue to again no avail, this laser happened to have what looked like a charging port that i plugged the provided cable into which powered the laser on however it was weak and seemed less than some 200mw lasers ive had in the past, i have yet to figure this issue out and wonder if it could be the batteries i ordered as ive seen a variation in the 26650 batteries when it comes to amperage and voltage , if anyone has any answers ot would be greatly appreciated

Commander J. Bloodmaker

I've noticed with lasers, the polarity is correct, unlike on most flash lights. It's usually a case positive, in my experience. Button side away from the laser diode. With using + as the case, the corrosion stays on the batteries instead of eating the case. We won't notice much but a little pitting, batteries usually die well before corrosion becomes a problem.

If it doesn't have reverse polarity protection, you fried it. Maybe just the driver, maybe both diode and driver. I have three 4w 450nm pointers, man they reach out and touch the sky. lol

gazer101

It amazes me how lasers can be made without reverse polarity protection when the components needed to add it to any given circuit cost less than 5 cents

Case positive laser pointers in the blue wavelength are very rare. Mostly these are green DPSS lasers that use the case positive 808nm pump diodes. Once you tried the battery(ies) in both polarities you likely fried it.

Commander J. Bloodmaker

Case positive laser pointers in the blue wavelength are very rare. Mostly these are green DPSS lasers that use the case positive 808nm pump diodes. Once you tried the battery(ies) in both polarities you likely fried it.
That would explain it, I like green. lol. I do have 3 high power blue's the same way too. I have a bunch of 405's the same way too. All of them were purchased over me building them. All of them go positive towards the button on the tail end and negative directly to the driver via a spring soldered on. Makes me wonder what the red and orange are, I haven't even opened their boxes yet.