Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

5mW pen rainbow build

I wasn't sure exactly where to put this thread so I'm putting it in general.

I've decided I want to start my first build in the next couple months and decided to start by getting some advice here. I want to build a rainbow of 5mW pens. I have been looking at parts such as these:

Laser Pointer Penstyle Host
Aixiz Module 12x30mm housing for 5.6mm laser diodes
NEW 1-10mW 650nm bright red laser diode lab.
NEW 635nm bright red laser diode DL 6353TL 7mW output One (1) piece NOT Burning
405nm-20mw-CW-Violet-Laser-Diode-DIY-Lab-Study-2pcs-pak-

Will all of these parts work together?
What type of drivers will I need that will fit in the pen host?
What current will I need to set said drivers at?

Since I am not sure exactly what time I will actually get around to this project, I will probably end up purchasing different items but of the same kind. I am open to any of your suggestions.

Oh. and I will probably purchase a green pen just to fit the rainbow but don't want to mess with building one of those from scratch

I built a few sets of something similar for someone recently. Only thing missing is 635, which will happen as soon as I get more 1x AAA MXDL's and drivers.

I hadn't assembled the last 405 yet in this pic though. They're 125mW 660nm, ~20mW 532nm, 45mW 450nm (single mode diodes), 125mW 405nm

IMG_0549.JPG

and most importantly.. beamshots! (with lots of fog, since these aren't 'extremly' high powered. 20mw-125mW)

IMG_0548.JPG

In regards to making your own. If you want them in newwish hosts (the pens you have listed) Unless your dead set on building them yourself, you would likely be better off (and save money)just buying the wavelengths you want. The only one you might have a hard time finding would be 635nm. 660, 532, and 405 are all easy to find and dirt cheap($5-$10 each for low powers). 450 is easy to get in a newwish pen as well but not so cheap. ($60-$70)

Last edited:
My goal is not to have the lasers, but to have built the lases. I want to get some experience in DIYing and yet not waste to much money if I screw it up.

And since the lasers be 5mW or less, I can show them off to my friends as lasers that I built myself.

Ok. Well a few things then. You might want rethink your host choice a bit then. Most of the drivers that will be available don't have provisions for a momentary switch. Most of the drivers available to us hobbyists were really made to be used in flashlight hosts with 'end clickies'

Using the newwish pens is still doable, but you'll have to figure out some way to correctly position a momentary switch inside the pen that lines up with the existing button.

Also. 5mW of 405nm will be... less than spectacular. In relatively bright lighting conditions you'll unlikely be able to even see the 'dot' more than a few feet away.

Last edited:
Well, I'm definitely open to suggestions. I liked the pens because they were small, looked nice, and most of all very cheap.

As for the 405, I don't really care that much about how great these lasers appear (It's just my first build), but will it still be able to cause white objects to fluoresce?

edit
I Did some more looking. How about this host?

Last edited: