Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

5mW keychain red laser has no diode?

Hello,
This is my first thread and it's been about a month since i've started to take interest in lasers.
Well I've bought 3 2dollar keychain lasers for some taking-apart, and i've noticed they had no "diode" in them. At the place where there is supposed to be a diode, there is a flat chip with something tiny sticking out of it.
what do these lasers use to make the laser without having a diode?

daguin

Hello,
This is my first thread and it's been about a month since i've started to take interest in lasers.
Well I've bought 3 2dollar keychain lasers for some taking-apart, and i've noticed they had no "diode" in them. At the place where there is supposed to be a diode, there is a flat chip with something tiny sticking out of it.
what do these lasers use to make the laser without having a diode?

That "flat thing" IS the diode. The diode is not in a CAN like you are used to seeing. That's all.

Peace,
dave

Benm

Indeed, i've seen the laser diode chip soldered/mounted directly on the circuit board in really cheap pointers. Because their little power, they don't need much cooling and this setup suffices.

I disassembles a DVD drive and thew it out because I did not know what to do with it. Is there something like a aixiz blank to focus the beam and hold the laser?