Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

5mw Green from DX

I finally got my first green laser (5mw from DealExtreme) and really got surprise on how far the beam goes (Over 2Km for what I tested). I can see the small beam in night too, but now i'm freakng out on security!

I know I should nott be scared as it is low power, but how can I know that it's really a 5mw and not over because they are cheap build?. And they probably don't have IR Filter...

And I don't think I need google right? I'm using it outside to beam in sky and on things(Not someone!) and would it be bad to play with it in in my room?

Finally, is it bad to get a reflection for a second in the face ( laser go on a door handle and light scatter all around the room for exemple).

Anyway, the more I think, the more my head play with me and make my eye get tired!!!! :p Yah, ming can be strong!

You are entirely correct that there is a WIDE range of power output possibilities with Chinese Greenies, most of us whine over 30% UNDER spec on the big stuff, but the chances of you having a laser that is 200, 300, or even 800% OVER spec with a 5mW pen is actually not so far fetched...

Best to err on the side of caution, 5mW is pretty much harmless in any circumstances but even 25-30mW has the potential to cause retinal damage... Dragonlasers has some pretty decent low-cost green saftety glasses, for around $40 delivered (much cheaper than eyeballs, even the Chinese ones!)

But do they also protect from IR?
From what I have read, the True Green from DX are suppose to have an IR filter.

And In the case that the laser is like 20mw, will it's still be dangerous?

I never saw any green laser except this one and I find the dot really bright on a black shirt that was on my bed like 10 feet away from me. And I don't think that a shirt reflect a lot, and it was a black one, so not a lot of reflection.

I also tryed to beam at my canon camera and I don't see any white light like a remote control. Maybe it's because I don't have 3d glasses to block the green color in front of the lense. (Did this with closed eyes :p)

Anyway, Dunno if all green laser are like this, but I find this really powerfull compared to a red one!

Do you know that green lasers are much, much brighter to our eyes than red lasers are? That might be why it is really bright, but DX has been known to sell under/over powered lasers. Just be careful with it and you should be fine.

i had a 5mW greeny from DX, i shined my laser at the IR port of my PalmPilot and my IR detecting program showed the IR light was being emitted...