Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

5mw diy laser troubles

while i wait for my dx90mw i decided to make a cheap 5mw red a little better so i found this weird laser that inside had a little circut wit a weird looking brass module that held a diode with three prongs looked exactly like one from a dvd burner (nonfocaseble) so i took of the switch that limted the power to the diode (runs on 3 button batts) and i put it into a better case with a consant switch i turned it on an shazaam it was putting out 7mw average (a slight improvement) and at about 4ft the dot was the size of a pin head but the closer to the module it got the larger it got i had been playing with it for about 20min (not continuesly on of course). It started to flicker dim then bright and back like a light bulb so i changed the batts. and checked my solder and it still flickered and now it puts out a measly 2mw tops still extremely tightly collaminated though any thoughts diodes still good i checked.

tvard667 said:
while i wait for my dx90mw i decided to make a cheap 5mw red a little better so i found this weird laser that inside had a little circut wit a weird looking brass module that held a diode with three prongs looked exactly like one from a dvd burner (nonfocaseble) so i took of the switch that limted the power to the diode (runs on 3 button batts) and i put it into a better case with a consant switch i turned it on an shazaam it was putting out 7mw average (a slight improvement) and at about 4ft the dot was the size of a pin head but the closer to the module it got the larger it got i had been playing with it for about 20min (not continuesly on of course). It started to flicker dim then bright and back like a light bulb so i changed the batts. and checked my solder and it still flickered and now it puts out a measly 2mw tops still extremely tightly collaminated though any thoughts diodes still good i checked.

tvard667 said:
alright really 3 days and no replys thanks guys really [smiley=dankk2.gif]

As a wise man once said http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1195742668/8#8

In addition, I didn't read any questions in there. All I could figure out from your original post was:
I had a $1 laser pointer.
I wanted to mod it.
I connected it straight to batteries.
It doesn't work anymore.
:(

Does that sound about right? Where was the question you were asking?