Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

<5mW 650nm Mini Keychain Build (AKA Cat Toy)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Mini Keychain Laser w/Springclip Holder

Here's a quick little (tiny actually) build using a mini <5mW 650nm focusable diode/driver module that Hakzaw had given to me. Here is a -LINK- to Hakzaw's thread.

PJtdIp5.jpg

I came across some cute little keychain/springclip LED flashlights that were just begging:wave: to be modded into lasers. At $3.99 ea., what's to lose if it doesn't work?

Disassembly showed that it ran on four 1.5V button cell batteries. That's good news, since I only needed 3+ volts.
This allowed the removal of two batteries for the room I needed for the driver.

cPcUwsZ.jpg

The LED was simply held in place with an "O" ring; once I pushed it out I had to drill & ream the hole to fit the 7.9mm dia. diode.

I made a couple of modifications to the driver before pressing it in place-

The first was to epoxy the diode side of the driver securely to the back of the diode to help relieve the stress to the pins resulting from the battery spring pressure.
Next, I soldered some loops of wire through the neg. (-) input to the driver, this gives the batteries a nice solid point of contact.

PsUcMvs.jpg

All that was left to do was press in the module, making sure to stop short of the focus ring, and then insert the batteries, (+) towards the tailcap.
I ended up using using two #393 cells, since they were a little thicker, and gave me a better fit. Also, I'm pretty sure they have a little better mAh rating than the originals.

uT1vtzw.jpg

Edit: Added pic for a comparison to my Jetlasers PL-E.

xYrpnBC.jpg

Edit: 1/13/15 - Even a <5mW 650nm laser can have beam shots with enough fog!

bdp11Wq.jpg

7O6bULO.jpg

BTW - I have ran this with three of the original batteries, giving me about 4.5V, and it ran just fine.

It's not very practical, but it did make for a fun little project, and it's a neat conversation piece!

IMHO, this would be a cool (and cheap) gift idea, and a good "first" build project for a youngster! :san:

:thanks:

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks starlight. :beer:
Added a photo showing a size comparison to my J/L PL-E.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hi Clearout, I don't have any of these to sell right now, just the one in the pics, and one given away as a gift.
I am trying to pick up a few more though. If I get some more, I can contact you if you want.

JEFF sent me one of these 'cuties'
and found a source (but no prices listed) and to get more we must buy either a retailers 'card' of 8 pcs (IIRC) or a case of cards 128 pcs.

My guesstimate would be with shipping ~$3. or less each. But Cheaper buying 128.

We both searched a lot and so far found no sellers of singles.

TY jeff and congrats on your vet status--+6

The modules come from AixiZ.com they offer several reds and 2 or 3 are even smaller-the smallest is touted by Chuck to be the world's smallest red laser module--you can buy one the exact same exact size and VDC but in 405nm.

a search would get you this thread

http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/world-s-record-red-88466.html

pics of all the tiny AixiZ modules-most can be focused.

I have plans to use some of those in modding a few in the eyes of my robots and the starwars fighter (alarm clock)shown in the pics.
hak

Last edited: