Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

593.5nm 20mW Portable

I'm the opposite. For me I don't really see the point in labby lasers, unless you need them for research or scanners. Lasers are a hobby for me not a career and therefor I would want them to be portable to show them off. I think that burning stuff is a good way of demonstrating how bright you're laser is if you get a laser just to burn stuff I think that's kind of frivolous.

That yellow laser is awesome ;D, but I would rather try to make a hybrid build of red+green before I'll dish out almost 2 grand one like that. Personally I am not to fond of yellow anyways.

Why to they say they are 593.5nm anyways? I think that 4 sig figs is pointless if the tolerance is usually +/- 10nm.

Xplorer877 said:
I'm the opposite. For me I don't really see the point in labby lasers, unless you need them for research or scanners. Lasers are a hobby for me not a career and therefor I would want them to be portable to show them off. I think that burning stuff is a good way of demonstrating how bright you're laser is if you get a laser just to burn stuff I think that's kind of frivolous.

That yellow laser is awesome ;D, but I would rather try to make a hybrid build of red+green before I'll dish out almost 2 grand one like that. Personally I am not to fond of yellow anyways.

Why to they say they are 593.5nm anyways? I think that 4 sig figs is pointless if the tolerance is usually +/- 10nm.

Kernelpanic: I think I just misread your post a bit, yeah a heatpipe would be a great way of removing heat in the hobby sense (our way of thinking), however the fundamental advantage that TEC's have it the fact that with the right temperature sensing circuit they keep the temperature at an exact value, which is really needed especially in a DPSS system as complex as that of 593nm.

Xplorer: The +-Xnm is a variation found in diode lasers, especially blu-ray diodes the GaN that they are made of is an extremely new-age material and it production is so "sketchy" (many faults) that some are surprised that it works at all, this is not the case in DPSS. A green 532nm green laser is exactly that value, same for 594.5 etc. Due to the way DPSS lasers work they do not vary in wavelength. For instance 532nm comes from frequency doubling the 1064 ouput line from YVO4 (or yag). 473 comes from doubling the much weaker 946 output line of YAG (reason for weakness) etc. It is due to the fundamental mechanics of DPSS, that the lasers do not vary in wavelenght.

K that make sense. But what if the IR diode is +/- 10nm? Will the crystals still double it to the exact value? Like if its 1074nm will it still double to 532nm?

The IR diode is 808nm +/- 10. The Nd:YVO[sub]4[/sub] will absorb all the different wavelengths of the IR diode (some to a greater or lesser extent) but will always lase at it's given lines, chiefly 1064.

This makes me want to sell of my collection just to buy this one laser....

D

Deleted member 8382

They need to be improved, almost 2000$ for a 20mW, u see the amazing color and whats next? Nothing! xd