Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

520nm green laser diode in holography usage

Since the holography usage was mentioned in the Osram PL520 50mW diode datasheet, I was wondering if anybody here perform the hologram imaging with this particular diode (instead of either the standby lasers; 632nm orangish-red Helium-Neon laser and / or 635nm red single mode laser diode), and if any, the successes of the hologram exposures.

I have done holography years ago in high school, and I might start doing it as a hobby, and I figured that Experiments / Modifications thread may be suitable rather than "Green Laser Pointer", to ask the general hologram questions on this neat little diode.

So, how good was the hologram taken with the PL520? Any mode-hopping, optical noise and any issues with this diode as far as the hologram is concerned? And, finally, what should I watch out for as far as green or red sensitive glass reflective hologram is concerned?

Since the holography usage was mentioned in the Osram PL520 50mW diode datasheet, I was wondering if anybody here perform the hologram imaging with this particular diode (instead of either the standby lasers; 632nm orangish-red Helium-Neon laser and / or 635nm red single mode laser diode), and if any, the successes of the hologram exposures.

I have done holography years ago in high school, and I might start doing it as a hobby, and I figured that Experiments / Modifications thread may be suitable rather than "Green Laser Pointer", to ask the general hologram questions on this neat little diode.

So, how good was the hologram taken with the PL520? Any mode-hopping, optical noise and any issues with this diode as far as the hologram is concerned? And, finally, what should I watch out for as far as green or red sensitive glass reflective hologram is concerned?

About the 520nm diodes. These are diodes not pumped DPSS so mode hopping is a non-issue. They also have decent beam specs. However, that's a good question about the holography usage. I wondered this too.
I'm wondering about whether or not the holography film you are using will be sensitive enough to this wavelength. My guess is probably not.
There are several kinds of holographic film out there, but alas lots of the old school film is nearly in non-production. You might find old stock somewhere but most of the companies have died out.
Lithiholo makes instant Holographic film but it is only sensitive within 650-660nm range (red) range. Older Kodak glass film was sensitive to blue up to green (green at 520nm being the edge of it's absorption range)
but required developing solutions, many requiring sulphuric acid,
Ammonium Thiocyante, Hydroquinone ..etc (can you say HAZMAT fees)

I'd read the .pdf in the linked document below. This might help answer some of your questions.

Instant (red spectrum) Polaroid style holograph kit
http://www.litiholo.com/images/Litiholo RRT20 hologram film spec sheet.pdf

Further reading on the subject and experiements.
http://www.litiholo.com/images/Litiholo RRT20 hologram film spec sheet.pdf

Last edited:
I know that I have worked with red sensitive films before, though they didn't require nasty chemicals (recent generation film development - I have used it seven years ago), although green sensitive films are available (color film ditto, so I am going to give the color instant hologram a try).

Yet, color sensitive films aren't cheap.

Now, my concern would be the mode-hopping in the 520nm Gallium-Nitride diode as it warms up in operation (TEC isn't always the answer unless the fan is dampened well enough which is not trivial) - a mode hop could ruin couple types of films, this diode is rated for 50mW at minimum anyways so you can just take picture of object in a few seconds. *** EDITED *** Wish I have an oscilloscope, they are hard to find, even used. So, if you have both the 50mW 520nm diode and an oscilloscope - and you have time, I would want to see if it's clean throughout the operating temperature.

Last edited:
I know that I have worked with red sensitive films before, though they didn't require nasty chemicals (recent generation film development - I have used it seven years ago), although green sensitive films are available (color film ditto, so I am going to give the color instant hologram a try).

Yet, color sensitive films aren't cheap.

Now, my concern would be the mode-hopping in the 520nm Gallium-Nitride diode as it warms up in operation (TEC isn't always the answer unless the fan is dampened well enough which is not trivial) - a mode hop could ruin couple types of films, this diode is rated for 50mW at minimum anyways so you can just take picture of object in a few seconds.

Hmm well that's why I mentioned the instant
Red film as it does not need the chemicals required for developing.
The older blue sensitive films do require them however.
I too have worked with the instant red film but also I done developing
For old Ag Bromide glass film plates. That needed developer chemistry
and a specialy lit dark room.
Mode hopping is not an issue with 520nm diodes as far as I am aware.

Last edited:
Alright, I will have to comb through the catalog and see which works best, as well as looking at the datasheets for the particular films.

Alright, I will have to comb through the catalog and see which works best, as well as looking at the datasheets for the particular films.

You might want to check out integraf.com and go to their
VRP-M which is specifically green exposure.
It's a Ag bromide + iodide based film.
This might be what your looking for?

I am looking into buying from Integraf, I will look into VRP-M films. I think it's centered for either 545nm Helium-Neon lasing spectra, and / or 532nm doubled Nd : YAG, but this should not be problems for the green laser diodes, as they're already powerful anyways (if a bit off-centered, a bit more exposure time or more laser power should do it, depending on emulsions).

I am looking into buying from Integraf, I will look into VRP-M films. I think it's centered for either 545nm Helium-Neon lasing spectra, and / or 532nm doubled Nd : YAG, but this should not be problems for the green laser diodes, as they're already powerful anyways (if a bit off-centered, a bit more exposure time or more laser power should do it, depending on emulsions).

Actually the data sheet indicates a peak
Sensitivity to 515nm ... 520nm should work well too.

Checked the datasheet. Perfect, it will work with the green Gallium-Nitride laser diode.

*** EDITED *** Should red LED flashlight be used as a safe light for dealing with this particular film? I remembered that I had to use green light for the red film.

Last edited:
Checked the datasheet. Perfect, it will work with the green Gallium-Nitride laser diode.

*** EDITED *** Should red LED flashlight be used as a safe light for dealing with this particular film? I remembered that I had to use green light for the red film.

Use a regular safelight. Red light won't expose
this kind of film.

Last edited:
Good. Just wanted to confirm, so I don't accidentally ruin the hologram. (Not cheap, so I have to be careful with them.)