Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

50W LPM laser

Ken Hudd

How are you telling this, do you have a laser power meter?

It's practically impossible to tell the strength of a laser visually, even side by side there's way more to it (beam diameter, air quality, wavelength etc). If you're burning things to test the power - there's also far too many things that will change your perception of the optical power.
I have been playing around w these lp's since I lost my wife 6 years ago to diabetes. This certainly doesn't make me any kind of expert. Only an expert at burning out a few diodes to static or the wrong drivers. But a lot of the blogs on meters on here are several years old. Your advice on a good watt meter reasonably priced would help me, and I am sure other newcomers on here. I posted a blog for this earlier this morning.

I've not got one to reccomend - Most people speak highly of the LaserBee units but they're not cheap. Then again - if you want cheap and good such a thing doesn't really exist for hobby level LPMs.

Looking into what you said a bit - the Kardell 3W gatling laser is sold by BurningLaserPointer.com primarily - which has a bad reputation as a seller round here for overpricing and underrating their pointer listings. I'm not at all surprised that something sold by them has dramatically fallen short of expectations.

Not a lot of members here will recommend buying from their site as it'll lead to bad experiences all round unfortunately...

Astralist made a pretty good LPM. I believe he is going to start selling them again this year. You can get either a 6+ watt LPM or a 20 watt one for ~$150.00. I have both, plus three other meters. If you get an opportunity to get one of his meters, it will likely be the best deal you can get for an inexpensive meter.

Ken Hudd

I've not got one to reccomend - Most people speak highly of the LaserBee units but they're not cheap. Then again - if you want cheap and good such a thing doesn't really exist for hobby level LPMs.

Looking into what you said a bit - the Kardell 3W gatling laser is sold by BurningLaserPointer.com primarily - which has a bad reputation as a seller round here for overpricing and underrating their pointer listings. I'm not at all surprised that something sold by them has dramatically fallen short of expectations.

Not a lot of members here will recommend buying from their site as it'll lead to bad experiences all round unfortunately...
I don't want to mention the merchant, but a said name sounds awful awful familiar. I asked why there was not any indication of the manufacturer on this unit, not even a single number or symbol. They told me that it had to be taken off to hide the laser power from customs. Then why does Sanwu boldly stamp it on the brass ring? What customs is primarily concerned with in this trait is the amount of batteries shipped. The lasers can all be listed as blue or green or red flashlights, and they all would be telling the truth! No illegal activity! It wouldn't stand up in a court of law. I was in law enforcement for eight years as well.
But that answer sounded pretty lame to me.

Ken Hudd

@Ken Hudd what is the wavelength of your 800mW laser and your Kardell Gatling 3W?

If they are different wavelengths then that might be part of the reason your 3W laser isn't as bright as your lower powered one.

Here is a link that can explain what I am talking about: https://light-measurement.com/spectral-sensitivity-of-eye/
Remember that I've been playing around with this off and on for six plus years since my wife passed. Also I have a master's degree in photography thru the US Navy
We had to know color wavelengths. I love the blue, and I learned early on that 445 was about the best deep pretty blue you can get. But I also know that it is uncommon in the skies out there (being pretty mean) and is usually related to UFO sightings. If you see a 532 out there, then you are going to think; "boy, some ones got an awful powerful laser pen!"

Ken Hudd

Remember that I've been playing around with this off and on for six plus years since my wife passed. Also I have a master's degree in photography thru the US Navy
We had to know color wavelengths. I love the blue, and I learned early on that 445 was about the best deep pretty blue you can get. But I also know that it is uncommon in the skies out there (being pretty mean) and is usually related to UFO sightings. If you see a 532 out there, then you are going to think; "boy, some ones got an awful powerful laser pen!"
It would be quite handy if you don't already know it, especially if you are using prisms; 'Real Young Girls Can Be Married' with the associated wavelengths that I cannot remember all, made into an Israeli star. This was the root of professional photography.

Ken, rather that multiple posts, you can hit reply on each one of the posts you wish to reply to starting with the last and look up to find the next and so on. That way to can answer several posts in one post. I doubt that you were aware of this feature here, so I thought I would mention it.

Ken Hudd

Ken, rather that multiple posts, you can hit reply on each one of the posts you wish to reply to starting with the last and look up to find the next and so on. That way to can answer several posts in one post. I doubt that you were aware of this feature here, so I thought I would mention it.
Thanks, I like to hit each individual one on one. But it took me over a minute to type this-slow and primitive.

Yeah Ken.... seeing all your Double and Triple posts
all over the Forum is getting pretty annoying...:mad:

Yo have been asked multiple times to stop doing
that since it is considered poor Forum Etiquette.

It is really easy to combine and edit any of your
posts by using the [Edit] button at the bottom
left of any of your posts. It's not Rocket Science.;)

Jerry

Last edited: