Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

50mw danger?

I have a question regarding a 50mw green laser I would like to purchase:

Does the power, and thus danger to the human eye diminish with distance?

I.e.: I know that looking at a 50mw dot from anywhere less than 20 feet away is potentially dangerous. Now, if I shine the laser 100 feet away, and another person is 80 feet away (so 20 feet from the 50mw dot), is it still dangerous for them to look at the dot?

Like-wise, if you get hit in the eye with a direct beam (50mw again) from a considerable distance, say 100 ft or so away, is the beam still just as dangerous for your eye, than if you get hit from 10 ft away?

I have always wondered this.
Thank you!

Any laser can hurt your eye even a 5mW. I recommend buying a pair of safety goggles if you are going to be doing lots of burning but if you are just using it for star pointing than you should be fine.

Also search on youtube how to make laser safety goggles sometimes for lower power lasers you can buy theatrical lighting gels to make glasses. For green I think you need primary red but I would double check it and you can make these for a couple bucks.

yep, I agree better safe than blind.

Braille.gif

I understand better safe than sorry, but I would like to know if the strength and thus negative effects of the laser on the eye diminish with distance. I am curious about it.

Obviously I'm not gonna go around pointing at ppl with a 50mw laser or stare at the dot at close range.