Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

500mw LPC-815 laser?

itsmei

Hi, i was thinking that i could make a LPC-815 diode reach 500mw or maybe even 600mw? If i made my own driver and make it so it would pulse the laser, the beam would last about 0.4 of a second, it would be strong enough to make a hole in a thin CD case. This way the diode would not get to hot, i have heard that this diode has been driven up to 500mw before but the life of the diode was very low. Is this diode capable of reaching 500-600mw and still have a good lifetime. I thought that heat usually kills diodes, if i have a good heat sink and make sure that i pulse the laser every 30 seconds or so, do you think the diode would last?

Thanks

It's not just heat, too much current into the laser die will blow the bond wires and possibly even the die itself, neither of which is really hard to do, so it's not really worth it. I've heard of an LOC (the type of diode in the LPC-815 sled) being drive to 500mA, but not mW. Even at 500mA, it is still under 350mW I believe.

itsmei

ahh ok i must of mis read, thanks for your help ! I will just get a 1 watt laser diode. Simple :)

Blord

I never heard a LPC-815 red diode gets into 500mW power. Like Prototype said, they run max at 300-400mA and the power is even lower.