Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

>500mw Hercules: Beamshots and burning vids

Razako

Here are some videos and pics of this beastly laser. These are just beamshots so far. The burning vids are still uploading.

Size vs RPL 300
IMG_1156.jpg

I'll start off with this video of the Herc+RPL in the darkness :cool:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z28sXaZyFCI[/media]
Beam comparison video
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afRti0L5AJ0[/media]

A bunch of random beamshots
IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

Razako

I'm dying to fire these up outside but I don't want to freak out half of the city. I'll probably do it at 3am when everyone is asleep.

abadcaffeinetrip said:
Those are beautiful... :eek:

EDIT:
Is that Optotronics or Laserglow? The name says LG but the styling looks like Opto.
The Herc (Big one) is LaserGlow, the smaller one is an RPL from Optotronics.

Ace82

Dude, that thing is ridicules! I didn’t know that thing was so huge! What power diode does that thing run off of? I noticed in your other video that it has a turn on delay. That kinda sucks. That thing must burn your skin quick! Hows the divergence? Can you burn/pop at far distance? Ok, maybe I'm getting a little too excited. I'll wait for your review. :eek:

I could picture WL advertising one of these:

“And the police now use this new laser/club. If they can’t blind you, they’ll hit you with it!” ;D

Razako

Ace82 said:
Dude, that thing is ridicules! I didn’t know that thing was so huge! What power diode does that thing run off of? I noticed in your other video that it has a turn on delay. That kinda sucks. That thing must burn your skin quick! Hows the divergence? Can you burn/pop at far distance? Ok, maybe I'm getting a little too excited. I'll wait for your review. :eek:

I could picture WL advertising one of these:

“And the police now use this new laser/club. If they can’t blind you, they’ll hit you with it!” ;D
It uses a 2.5Watt IR diode like the RPL but it has much more efficient crystals. The little holes in the heatsink are there because the laser has a small fan inside that keeps the laser cool. You can leave it running for a long time before it starts to heat up. Additionally it has a small red indicator LED that is supposed to come on if the laser is in danger of overheating. I haven't seen it come on yet despite running the laser for 15 minutes without a break. The divergence is slightly worse than my RPL. You really can't notice a difference unless you try.

Justin

I think it's missing the logo because this Herc was originally purchased before we started branding the Hercules series. That thing really cooks!

Very nice Razako, you seem to be having plenty of fun with the new toy. Man you can really see the power in the Hercules in the pic where the beams terminate on the newspaper !! 300mW Vs 500+mW, it's a bigger difference visually than I would have expected. I'm really glad it went to a home where it will be looked after.

Razako

Morepower said:
Very nice Razako, you seem to be having plenty of fun with the new toy. Man you can really see the power in the Hercules in the pic where the beams terminate on the newspaper !! 300mW Vs 500+mW, it's a bigger difference visually than I would have expected. I'm really glad it went to a home where it will be looked after.
The difference is that big because the Herc is hitting a white part of the paper while the RPL is hitting a darker area.

Razako

Some videos demonstrating the burning abilities of this laser.
Lighting matches and cutting wooden match in half.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kMRFwKFNWg[/media]
Herc vs RPL paper burning.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAsYZMdpp24[/media]
Burning thick black construction paper.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TknE7buK0d8[/media]

Razako

styropyro said:
Was that a giggle I heard at about 16 seconds in the first vid?? ;D
uh no.....Just muttering something.
Btw does anyone know if Coherent Laserchecks need to be calibrated occasionally? This one is giving me some really strange readings on ALL of my lasers and appears to be off by around 30-36%
Here are some readings.....
It says that my green RPL is putting out 278mw peak when it should be in the high 300's.
Herc on fresh Duracell ultras=507mw peak when it should be somewhere in the high 500's.
Pulsar125=90.4mw
Blu-ray running at 39ma=5-6mw
5mw green pointer=3mw
Aries-35=20mw peak
Blue RPL30=27mw peak.
Premium optotronics 30mw pointer=23mw peak
I know that all of my lasers can't be that badly out of spec :-/ I did read the instructions and use the attenuator when measuring anything over 10mw.

Switch

trueHOUSE said:
hah what if you remove the crystal set 5w ir or something :D
No dude, it's still the 2.5W nLight diode.It's probably running closer to 3W though.
Anyway that thing is awesome!All of the pictures and vids show the beam much brighter than the RPL, I can't even imagine how bright that is in reality.I guess it would hurt your eye just looking at the beam in fog.You prooved you're a hardcore laserist Razako ;D So are you eventually gonna get the x10dr? :p

diachi

nice, but would it not be easier to carry a lab laser with its power supply about ( probably still smaller than the herc, cause that thing is HUGE) ::)