Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

4th of July Pyrotechics

Exerd

HumanSymphony,

What ratio did you use for your flash? What type of aluminum?

It looks like there was some aluminum or perchlorate clumps maybe in the mixture. Hard to tell really; I'm just trying to figure out the large sparks in the air which came out of the blast. Looks like the aluminum was heavy in the mix.

HumanSymphony,

What ratio did you use for your flash? What type of aluminum?

It looks like there was some aluminum or perchlorate clumps maybe in the mixture. Hard to tell really; I'm just trying to figure out the large sparks in the air which came out of the blast. Looks like the aluminum was heavy in the mix.
7:3 the aluminum was 3 micron but it was extremely clumpy :( I didn't really bother getting ALL the clumps out :p

Exerd

Ah hah.

That would explain it. I had to ask, because I only remember seeing sparks like that one time ever in a mixture, and it was from clumpy perchlorate.

Now I use perchlorate with an anti-cake additive so it remains powdery. Solves a lot of head aches with screening.

Ah hah.

That would explain it. I had to ask, because I only remember seeing sparks like that one time ever in a mixture, and it was from clumpy perchlorate.

Now I use perchlorate with an anti-cake additive so it remains powdery. Solves a lot of head aches with screening.
Yea the perch was perfectly fine, but the aluminum, omg lol :p
Funny because last year it was the exact opposite :na:

I love that a small piece of debris came back and hit someone on the deck... that's kind of surprising!

Nice videos Humansymphony!

Tannerite is expensive! You can make it yourself. Actually, what you can make yourself quite simply will have twice the detonation pressure and detonation speed of tannerite....

Now mix it in a ratio of 90:10 AN:aluminum fine mesh powder.
It has to be shot by a high powered rifle. Even a low power rifle will not produce the shock energy required to detonate. It needs to be hit by a round traveling closer to 3000FPS.

It this a low-order or high-order explosion? I would think without an initiator/primary or containment it would be low order.
I imagine you could add a sensitizer to the mix. I do believe tannerite has more sensitizers (magnesium & zirconium hydroxide) to help intermediate rifles detonate it. I requested the tannerite MSDS once in the past but I lost it.... oh well.

I wonder if a small homemade salute (2g-5g) can detonate a tannerite (or homemade) mixture?
Flash powder detonation/deflagration velocity is around 6000fps and very hot.
Who wants a +1... Someone here with the materials should try. :D

Exerd

It this a low-order or high-order explosion? I would think without an initiator/primary or containment it would be low order.
I imagine you could add a sensitizer to the mix. I do believe tannerite has more sensitizers (magnesium & zirconium hydroxide) to help intermediate rifles detonate it. I requested the tannerite MSDS once in the past but I lost it.... oh well.

I wonder if a small homemade salute (2g-5g) can detonate a tannerite (or homemade) mixture?
Flash powder detonation/deflagration velocity is around 6000fps and very hot.
Who wants a +1... Someone here with the materials should try. :D

Flash powder deflagrates at closer to 4000FPS and not 6000. It has such a low pressure explosion that it will not det nearly anything secondary. It just pushes things away from it.

AN:aluminum is completely high order and detonates with 40 kilobars of pressure! That's about the same as an ANFO detonation but is more sensitive.

Why would you want to use a crappy deflagrating mixture to attempt a job that should be done by a proper primary?

That just makes the whole setup dangerous, as flash powder is very static and heat sensitive.

The smart way is always to use a primary that is not very sensitive. A good choice would be a double salt. The double salt is then placed on top of 1.5g of PETN, which will get about anything to go. A good strong det container tube is a section of an aluminum archery arrow. You don't want something weak which can crush when something is set on it.

I doubt anyone cares about a +1 to blow their arms off for you.

I forgot about this:

acrghc.jpg

260pc7c.jpg

hrik9d.jpg

Last edited: