Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

4K Blu-ray playback on Mac?

It's said that 4K Blu-ray is arriving in 2015 Spring, so is that possible to play directly on Mac?

Mac OS cant play blu-ray. You can rip blu-ray's to the hard drive and play them that way, but directly playing a blu-ray disc will never happen.

You need an external BR drive and a third party software to play it back. I've never bothered since I've always used my PS3 as my BR player.

You cannot play any Blu-Ray disc on any Mac, let alone 4K Blu-ray.
But you can ask help for additional tools.
Buy a drive and software. A drive without software is not enough. Software without a drive is not enough.
I heard a Mac blu-ray Player, may this program can play 4K Blu-ray.

No, 4k is a promote of the video defnition. You still need blu-ray player and drive to playback movies. mac go blu-ray player could support 4k now. Since it is not so expensive.

4K is the trend of 2015. Panasonic have released a new 4K Blu-Ray drive in 2015 International Consumer Electronics Show. So you can definitely can play 4k Blu ray. What you need is a Bl u ray player software on Mac. You can check whether VLC or Macgo Blu ray player whether support 4K.

Last edited:
Mac OS cant play blu-ray. You can rip blu-ray's to the hard drive and play them that way, but directly playing a blu-ray disc will never happen.

Not true at all. I use blueray on my Mac all the time including at 2K and 4K resolutions. MacOSX has officially supported reading and write to Blueray dual layer and BDXL disks for at least the last 7 years or so.
Direct playback requires Aurora Blueray or Macblueray player from the apple store if you are using an offical bluray authoring program or watching commercial DVDs.

Official 4K codecs for full movies are not released yet, but I have captured and used 2.75K 60p and 4K 45p video on BDXL.

Last edited: