Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

473nm pointer questions

Sorry for the noob questions. Just trying to gather info and wisdom.

Is the Aurora 473nm the only viable option for a presentation pointer?
What others compare to it?
Is there a place online to find them reasonably priced?
I'm looking for a 473nm presentation pointer. So, something in the 5mW range. I'm not looking for lightsaber looking pointers (right now) or huge flashlight-sized pointers. I'm just looking for a presentation pointer that you could take to an office, use during a powerpoint presentation and put in your pocket. So far, the only pointer that I've seen like this has been the Aurora, as it has a momentary switch, which is necessary for presentation styled pointers. If anyone has any suggestions on options and where to buy, I would love to know them.
I'm trying to avoid spending $400+ on the Aurora but if its the only real option, I may have to.
Also, are there any U.S. distributors or do I have to order from China?

Last edited:

Unfortunately the Aurora is the only real option as far as presentation 473nm pointers are concerned. You can order one from laserglow based in Canada, or you can save a bit of money and order one from China over ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Power...hash=item3d2d698ce3:m:mWQ31FvfJRiSyywvbKN7TZQ

^Razako has it right.

I personally wouldn't recommend buying a 473 from a China based eBay seller. While all these 473 pointers(the blue host ones) come from CNI, mine had output problems 6 months down the road, outputting barely 2mW's at times.

You could always order from CNI. Since you aren't based in the US they shouldn't have a problem shipping it right to you.

(Edit: Are you from the US? You don't have a location set). :yh:

-Alex

Last edited:
I've got the China ones bookmarked. That is my last resort option. I was thinking I would just bite the bullet and do it but I wanted to ask some of the more experienced laser enthusiasts on the board before I went all gung-ho on ebay. I've seen a couple of 303 style laser pointers but they are usually burning lasers and too powerful for professional settings. I want to get one and maybe even cause a little envy without getting sued. :D
If no one throws any suggestions at me, I'll probably just go ahead and get an ebay one next week.

^Razako has it right.

I personally wouldn't recommend buying a 473 from a China based eBay seller. While all these 473 pointers(the blue host ones) come from CNI, mine had output problems 6 months down the road, outputting barely 2mW's at times.

You could always order from CNI. Since you aren't based in the US they shouldn't have a problem shipping it right to you.

(Edit: Are you from the US? You don't have a location set). :yh:

-Alex

Thanks for the input, Alex. Yeah, I'm in the U.S. They won't ship to me directly, so my options are limited. 400+ bucks is a bit to gamble with, which is why I was trying to find out some more info. Do you know of any U.S. based sellers that will have a little more quality control?

Last edited:
There are some direct diode lasers possible in and around this wavelength. It would be much cheaper too. I have one that measures 477nm and outputs 130 mW, but you could get one closer to 473 and at a much lower power if that is what you are wanting. I believe Rich, Lifetime17, still has one of these diodes and could build one for you at a price that is much less than the DPSS 473nm.

Reactions: GSS
There are some direct diode lasers possible in and around this wavelength. It would be much cheaper too. I have one that measures 477nm and outputs 130 mW, but you could get one closer to 473 and at a much lower power if that is what you are wanting. I believe Rich, Lifetime17, still has one of these diodes and could build one for you at a price that is much less than the DPSS 473nm.

Thanks! I'll message him and see what happens! That would be great. I'm not at the building stage yet. I'm just starting to collect. :D

Thanks for the input, Alex. Yeah, I'm in the U.S. They won't ship to me directly, so my options are limited. 400+ bucks is a bit to gamble with, which is why I was trying to find out some more info. Do you know of any U.S. based sellers that will have a little more quality control?

Not really. I think what paul mentioned is going to be your best, and cheapest option. 473nm diodes are pretty decent nowadays :yh:

-Alex

Last edited:
I hope this works out well for you. These diodes are manufactured by Sharp and though there are still diodes available from 503nm to 510nm, these 473nm diodes have become more scarce now. They originally could be had for ~$35.00 for the diode alone, but some members who have held onto a few will try to get much, much more than they paid for them. I don't think that is right and Rich is someone who won't try to take advantage of the scarcity of them at the moment. He machines his own hosts out of copper and aluminum for the lasers he builds and there is where the cost for them comes in. Still a good value, though.

I noticed you live in Seattle. I live in Tacoma. :)

Last edited:
There are several laser enthusiasts in this area. Many right there in Seattle.

Regarding these diodes - some 488nm (slightly greener but still pretty blue) diodes from the same company are expected to launch sometime soon. If you can't get the 477nm from him, and just want a light blue pointer, it's an option to consider.

The 475-480nm batch was a test batch to try producing the 488s and are no longer being made, if you're looking for some more info. The 488s should go into full production sometime soon but I'm still waiting for someone to say I can place an order... and it's starting to go to radio silence again... :can:

--

That aside, if you're looking for 473nm for that color specifically it'll be a tough call. You might be able to order just the DPSS module from CNI and see if someone would be willing/able to put it into something. That's about the only other option, and the $400 pre-built unit will surely be cheaper.

There's also dragonlasers but their reputation is iffy lately.

Not for walk in customers. Most laser parts are found online. I don't know of anyone who has a store front anywhere in the country. Maybe some exist, but I haven't seen them.

477nm would be fine, as would 470 or 473. 488nm is a little more green than I would like at the moment. I just thought 473nm was perfect and even though they seem to be scarce, there seems to be enough of them to go around. I'm not at the building stage yet and wouldn't want to mess one up. Until I learn more, I'll just settle for buying one.

Send a PM to Lifetime17 and tell him what you want. You can tell him I told you to go to him. I'm pretty certain he told me he had at least one left. I wouldn't wait, though. It's first come, first served. Go to the User CP icon, click on it, then on the left side look for send a message and click on that. I'm sure he can set you up for way less than the cost of the DPSS laser.