Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445nm 1W Aixiz Driver tested with Laserbee 2.5w

Today I tested out my new Laserbee 2.5w LPM, using my Hotlight host with a DTR 445nm powered by an O-Like driver I purchased from Aixiz. I used 3 new AAA batteries since I'm waiting for my 22600 battery to arrive from China. The lens was a 445nm Glass lens, purchased on Ebay from BogartMan. The hotlight was placed at a distance of 6 inches from the thermopile.

I didn't know what to expect as no tests were done with a dummy load prior to the Laserbee test, but I was disappointed with the power output of this unit.
445nmOlikeDriver3xAAA.jpg

I'm thinking it might be time to scrap the O-like/Aixiz driver and use the Flexdrive I ordered for my other 445nm build I'm planning. I can always use the O-like driver in a future 405nm build as it seams as though 269mw would be better suited for that.

Thanks for the advice Jordan. To bad I didn't see that you had those for sale, because yesterday I already bought 2 of the 22600's off ebay for ~$20, but they wont be delivered until sometime between 4/14 and 4/21. So I'm just gonna have to wait patiently for them to come in.

Tonight I will have to bust out the dummy load and DMM to test the output of that driver using various power sources. I've got a couple CR123's and one 18650 laying around. I was gonna use the CR123's in this host, but that damn O-like/Aixiz driver is really big compared to the flexdrive, so I'm not sure if the driver would fit in the pill if I were to cut down the pill to fit the CR123's or 18650.

I read some posts on this driver where people were testing the output using dummy loads, and the results were very disappointing.

I'm curious though if anyone has tested the actual output of the driver using a LPM?

By the way, this whole LaserBee 2.5W thing is awesome! I'm totally stoked to test more lasers!

Last edited:

DTR

I believe this driver switches based on the voltage drop so your testload would need to be dropping 4.5V to get an accurate reading. Also if you are going to disconnect a diode and play with the driver on a load please make sure that you short the drivers leads to make sure the cap is discharged before attempting to solder the diode back up. It would be very sad to blow your diode. You may know this but I thought I would throw it out there anyway.:beer:

I'm using Qty 6 of the 1N5405 Diodes, which I've read give a voltage drop between .7v-.9v depending on the current your running through them. At the current levels I'm working with here I figure it's going to be .7v so a total of forward voltage drop of around 4.2v.
Is 4.2v close enough or is there anyway I could get it closer?

I should also mention that I'm using a 1 ohm wire-wound resistor (2% tolerance), with a rating of 10 watts. What kind of voltage drop would that add to the test load?

Thanks for the tip about shorting the driver output before re-connecting the laser diode, I had read that before but it didn't really stick until now.

I got my 22600 and installed it into this same host with the same driver. As you can see the results were substantially improved! I'm still thinking about ditching this driver for the Flexdrive, just so that I can push this baby up to 1.5W!
laserbee445nmO-Likedriver22600battery.jpg