Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

405nm beam visibility

rkcstr

I think the violet has much better visibility than red... I can't see my >250mW red's beam at all unless there's smoke or something. Yet, my 100mW violet, if it's a dark room I can typically see the beam very brilliantly.

But, this may vary from person to person as I have a slight red/green color-blindness, so that's probably why violet is brighter for me... just to clarify, red/green color blindness doesn't necessarily mean I CAN'T see the colors, it's just difficult for me to differentiate between something like light green/red and dark green/red unless they're next to each other, but a 532nm pointer is still MUCH brighter and noticeably green for me compared to my red.

The Aixiz lenses do have a difference. I noticed a decent drop switching from the plastic to glass lens on my violet diode, so the plastic (as expected) had better output.

photopic-scotopic-vision.gif

HumanSymphony said:
haven't gotten my hands on one of these bad boys yet. currently waiting for all parts. what kind of beam visibility does say ~100mW of 405nm have? better than red? if any one has any realistic pics please post them  :)
I got one from CNIlaser in China.5mW 350USD.I took some pictures.It's the most beautiful color I ever see.

Attachments

• 405-1.jpg
    405-1.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 177
I have a nice (about 90mw) Blu-ray which burns and pops but remains invisible to me. Indoors, at night, with some intentional air pollution, I can see the beam on my 200mw red; but only barely, and then very briefly the beam of the Blu-ray. Now, it's my understanding that monochromatic violet light is in the 400 - 450 nm range, with the higher numbers being the more visible. Although Blu-rays are usually said to be operating at 405 nm, I wonder if that is strictly true or if there is a range of wavelengths at which a Blu-ray may operate. And if there is, would this account for varying visibility given the same power?

Thanks for any help with this.