Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

3D Printable Laser Diode Press Kit for TO-5 and TO-18 Laser Diodes and 12mm Modules

IWLSR5

I've been tinkering with 3D design a little bit and decided to make something useful for the community. After a few tweaks and some trial and error I have working designs for both TO-5 / 9mm and TO-18 / 5.6mm laser diodes. Since they're made from plastic they're certainly not as durable as the metal ones but if you break it then you can just print another! I have found PLA+ to be the best filament so far. PETG was too spongy. I think polycarbonate will work even better but I don't have any yet to test with. Ensure the diode is centered perfectly and gently press the diode until you feel it stop moving or you will start to squish the press and deform it. The TO-18 press is much more delicate than the TO-5 version. Let me know if you have any questions.

These were created with the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0(CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0) Creative Commons Licenses. You can print and modify it all you want but don't sell it as your own.

My print settings were:

.15mm Layer Height
Mininum Perimeters: 2
Solid Layers - Top: 4 Bottom: 4
Minimum Shell Thickness: .2mm
Infill: 100%
Top and Bottom Fill Pattern: Concentric

These are awesome. I will be printing a few out tonight. What are the chances that you could design a diode extractor press?