Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

"301" Laser Host Recreation

RawCuriosity

Hello people of LPF,

I am trying to make a recreation of the classic "301" style laser, that fits with modern hobby laser tech and will be easy to use and assemble by hobbyists. I made some prototypes of how it might look. They are relativly similar there only diffrences are how the copper module fits into the host, one design allows the 12mm copper module to slide smootly into the host/heatsink with around 1mm of wiggle room the other has you press fit the 1mm module into the host/heatsink. The latter definitely has better heat dissipation however it is quite hard to press a 30mm of copper. I am making this post to ask for your (most likely) more experienced opinion on what you think is a good idea for this host.

I ordered a laser 301 just to take apart and try and retro fit my own stuff thats still in the mail. Any news on how this has worked for you yet? Id like to see your prototypes too it sounds cool

Reactions: GSS
I ordered a laser 301 just to take apart and try and retro fit my own stuff thats still in the mail. Any news on how this has worked for you yet? Id like to see your prototypes too it sounds cool
Be prepared for some glue and a tight fit of the module. Most likely it will be needed to be pressed out.
Those 301's 303's etc. also use a side button switch.
I took one apart years ago without damaging the parts. Just advice but I used a piece of metal tubing "I think from one of those glass tables legs" and lucked out that it fit inside the host and made contact on the edges on the back of the module and cleared the driver.

I had to cut a notch out of the tubing enough to clear the side button insides. I then used a 6" Clamp to press it out. You will probably need a 1" spacer on the front of the host so the module slides in it as thats the side it slides out.
You can easily mickey something to work.

Last edited:
Be prepared for some glue and a tight fit of the module. Most likely it will be needed to be pressed out.
Those 301's 303's etc. also use a side button switch.
I took one apart years ago without damaging the parts. Just advice but I used a piece of metal tubing "I think from one of those glass tables legs" and lucked out that it fit inside the host and made contact on the edges on the back of the module and cleared the driver.

I had to cut a notch out of the tubing enough to clear the side button insides. I then used a 6" Clamp to press it out. You will probably need a 1" spacer on the front of the host so the module slides in it as thats the side it slides out.
You can easily mickey something to work.
I lucked out before with strange parts working out. My diode press is from a 2$ ebay 532 dpss heat sink. Works great :^D

My dad had some coat hangers with plastic things like you see at the stores for sizing numbers under the hook, they are just above 12mm and when clamped they are a tight squeeze. They are perfect for attaching springs for wiring and keeping pressure. They are a little difficult to keep glued tho, I think I might just use a giant glob of epoxy to the side of it, idk anyways instillation is a struggle. :for when the 12mm module doesnt have a spring on the driver fitted properly to size.

My 301 laser is still in the mail currently. Ill be here when it does for sure, thanks

Imight need to buy a dremel tool

Also, OP, I saw ur laser host is sold out just now. Congrats but theres no pics currently, I really wanna see it

Last edited:
I lucked out before with strange parts working out. My diode press is from a 2$ ebay 532 dpss heat sink. Works great :^D

My dad had some coat hangers with plastic things like you see at the stores for sizing numbers under the hook, they are just above 12mm and when clamped they are a tight squeeze. They are perfect for attaching springs for wiring and keeping pressure. They are a little difficult to keep glued tho, I think I might just use a giant glob of epoxy to the side of it, idk anyways instillation is a struggle. :for when the 12mm module doesnt have a spring on the driver fitted properly to size.

My 301 laser is still in the mail currently. Ill be here when it does for sure, thanks

Imight need to buy a dremel tool

Also, OP, I saw ur laser host is sold out just now. Congrats but theres no pics currently, I really wanna see it
I didn’t even notice people replied to this, sorry. I made 5 hosts, sold 3, kept 2. I ended up closing my store because shopify was too expensive at the time. Now I might start selling them again if people are interested as I am a little bit less strapped for cash. Thank you for taking interest though. Also the ones I sold were tail switch I’m not sure if I should use side or tail switch so please let me know.

I didn’t even notice people replied to this, sorry. I made 5 hosts, sold 3, kept 2. I ended up closing my store because shopify was too expensive at the time. Now I might start selling them again if people are interested as I am a little bit less strapped for cash. Thank you for taking interest though. Also the ones I sold were tail switch I’m not sure if I should use side or tail switch so please let me know.
Just remember you need a minimum of 20 posts to start selling on here. Mentioning it is already a violation. Just make 13 more posts. Ask how people are doing or something.

Back