Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

240mw off ebay

Kenom

for that budget your only hope is dealextreme or kaidomain. Nothing else is gonna do ya! stay away from ebay and lasers. they just won't do ya. One option you can do although I personally don't recommend it, is buy a leadlight from Vital_spirit on ebay and do the modifications to it. You can get anywhere from 10-70mw if yoru lucky and don't' fry it right away.

Well you are not going to get a laser visible in daylight for that amount of cash. You would need at minimum 300mw.
Also these do not come in pin size. If you have ever seen those giant Mag-Lights like cops use, that would be about the size of the laser. Also looking at about $1,389.00 US. Courtesy of www.LaserGlow.com

Could one of the mods please go over this for me and make sure I did not mess anything or leave anything out :)

In low light, Would i be able to see ebay 1? Im not looking for a great Laser, I have other things to spend money on. Im just a 13 year old kid who wants to play with a laser beam. Just, Maybe not your ordinary 13 year old kid. Im gonna make a mirror maze inside a box for my laser.

Well I did purchase an ebay laser before I found this forum. I got lucky. It did burn things and in low lite was visible. But like Kenom said, just don't go with ebay. I was lucky to get what I got. Here is my original post on it. I am now a happy owner of a NOVA X65 which was rated at 95 peak and 85 average. I am glad I spent more money on a laser that came from a reputable company.

If i buy off ebay, Is it best to get

50mw - Continuous Output Power: 50mW Class 3B
Or
240mw - Maximum Output: 240mw

Daedal

Haz_622 said:
If i buy off ebay, Is it best to get

50mw - Continuous Output Power: 50mW Class 3B
Or
240mw - Maximum Output: 240mw

You seem to have your heart set on the eBay lasers, and that is your choice. The advice we are all giving is most eBay laser pointers are not very honestly labeled. Thus, honestly, you might get lucky and get an overpowered greenie labeled 50mW or a far underpowered one labeled 240mW. The choice is yours.

Although, in terms of the mirror maze you are talking about, I assume you will be using mirrors directed in all different angles to have the beam bounce around and create a kind of a ray-maze. That could be easily done if you provide a weak red or green laser just by covering the top with PlexiGlass or something like that and puffing some smoke or some air freshener where the beam is... Even cling wrap to cover the top would work. That should make the beam visible even in a well-lit room. A simple 5mW laser would do the trick here. Obviously green is a more visible color, and at 5mW would give you a much more visible and vibrant beam. I know that in the UK 1mW is the legal limit, so please keep that in mind. TimeLord can be of further help to you there.

Be very careful of where the beam is reflecting and align all the mirrors with a very weak laser before moving on to the greenie. Many people's eyes have been hurt and as young as 16 by these lasers. The thought alone of someone living their whole life from 16 onwards with a dark spot in the middle of their vision just makes me sad. Lasers are powerful and beautiful, but above all, they are harmful and should be respected and treated with care.

Best of luck and I hope you enjoy you laser, whichever one you decide to go with;
DDL

The reason im getting it from ebay is because its easier. I live in uk and can't use dealextreme

Haz_622 said:
The reason im getting it from ebay is because its easier. I live in uk and can't use dealextreme

There are many people in the UK who have decent lasers. Don't buy the eBay crap - the sellers pull numbers out of their ass and say that's what the laser is. If its called a 150mW? expect 20, called a 240mW? Eh, I'll still be expecting 20mW.

If you'd rather trust the word of the sellers who want to make money off you as opposed to the word of devoted forum members trying to help you, then by all means go ahead. It really won't matter what you buy, just get the cheapest one, they'll all be the same worthless crap.

I would suggest you check out sites like:
www.atlasnova.com
www.novalasers.com
www.wickedlasers.com
etc.

Sorry, but if your budget doesn't allow for their products, then your budget doesn't allow for a half-decent green laser. A lot of times, "you get what you pay for"... sorry for the bad news

Ok, Paypal will convert my BP to USD. So im gonna use dealextreme. Are there 50mw lasers any good? And will they burn stuff

Ok i have decided to splash out on a 200mw Dealextreme laser(By the way i see loads of people talking about DX, Is that dealextreme?) I have a fw questions first.

1. What is visibility like indoors at day time
2. What is visibility like outdoors in day time
3. Whats visibility like in the dark?
4. Will it burn plastic? (Says it will)
5. Will it light matches?
6. Will there be a problem with customs, Shipping to uk?

Thanks for all the help, You guys are great

Kenom

now your getting into a whole new realm with the 200mw deal extreme laser.  You will NOT be getting 200mw of green unless your like Hemlock Mike and feed it lithium batteries.  The bad news is that you will also be getting a LOT of IR radiation spewing from your laser and unless you purchase some laser goggles to go with that laser will probably be damaging your eyes.  The DX 200 mw laser has no IR filter so it's putting out a good percentage of IR.  I understand the desire to buy a POWERFUL laser and get it to "burn" and be visible in the daytime and whatnot but you really do have to be very very careful.  Your 13.  I donno bout you but when I was 13 I wasn't very responsible and if I had a laser like that when I was 13 I would have fried everything in existence.  Looking at the beam close up to burn things IS going to hurt your eyes.  Please take some advice and use extreme caution when playing with this laser.  Buy some goggles.  Respect the laser as a dangerous device.

To answer your questions
indoor visibility will be good but not great indoors during the daytime beamwise
beam visibility will be extremely poor outdoors in daytime.  You will see the dot but not the beam.
beam visibility in the dark will be excellent
it WILL burn plastic
it WILL light a match.

If you want my recommendation go with a laser that is known to be IR filtered and is fairly powerful. You will still get the nice efffects I've spoken about and will be a lot safer without the IR radiation. You can still damage your eyes with a IR filtered high mw laser so still take care. I recommend the novalasers, BFGlasers.com and Dealextreme lasers below 50mw. (dx 50mw will still burn with the aid of a magnifying glass and is a good starting laser.) I recently gave one of my friends who was just getting into lasers a 50mw DX laser and he love's it! He's able to pop balloon's, light matches. and it's not too bright that incidental flashes off reflective metal surfaces is going to be too horribly damaging. It has given him an opportunity to play with a higher powered green and learn about laser safety first hand. It can still be seen 5 miles away in the dark and looks impressive as hell in the night sky.

Kenom

as long as you don't use expedited shipping. I saw over at cpf there were a lot of people having thier lasers confiscated by us customs cause of expedited shipping. I've not heard about to the UK. I would think it would be fine.