Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

20mW, 488nm Single Line Argon Laser for Sale (SOLD)

Hey everyone, I'm sorry that It's been so long since I've been on here. I've sort of lost interest in lasers for now, and I might start selling more of my lasers, but for now the only one I really want to just get rid of is my argon laser. I don't run it often enough so I want someone who can take good care of it to have it. The exact model is JDSU-20SLMD. This model number means that it was made by JDS Uniphase, has an output power of 20mW, is a single line laser, and the MD refers to the fact that it was originally designed for use in medicine. All the MD really means is that it has a much longer ambilical than normal. It was made in 2000 and rebuilt by the national laser company in 2009. Currently, its controller is one that Cyparagon made for me, it allows for tube current (and therefore output power) modulation and has an on/off switch, as well as ports for a multimeter to measure the current being supplied to the tube. I do not have the original controller. I have measured its maximum output power at 30-35mW, with the controller allowing 10A to the tube (which is more than recommended for this model and will decrease tube lifetime if left like this), and its minimum is roughly 5mW, though my LPM may not be accurate enough to measure a value this low. I will upload pictures at some point, but I'm a little busy at the moment. Please ask any questions relating to pertinent information so I can update the listing.

Im asking for $300, shipping included, for anywhere within the continental US or Canada, or $250 + shipping for anywhere outside of this region.

UPDATE: Anthony P is the proud new owner of this awesome laser. Huge +rep to him for quick and efficient business.

Last edited:

Good luck on your sale. Just because the model shows a 20 mW laser, it doesn't mean that the output is limited to that. I have a single line argon that is rated at 20 mW that does just under 100 mW.

Good luck on your sale. Just because the model shows a 20 mW laser, it doesn't mean that the output is limited to that. I have a single line argon that is rated at 20 mW that does just under 100 mW.

Yeah, with the controller I have I think it does 10A tube current, and at that current it outputs 30-35mw. That's way to high for normal use though. Spec sheet lists max current at 8A, so 10 is going to burn it out real quick.

I don't think that is entirely correct. Mine had a replacement tube in it, but has run for many hours over the years that I have had it. These small air cooled tubes don't need to be run often either. It is only the large tubes with argon reservoirs that can leak argon making the tubes high pressure that need to be run regularly. You can let these tubes sit for years and it won't degrade their outputs.

I don't think that is entirely correct. Mine had a replacement tube in it, but has run for many hours over the years that I have had it. These small air cooled tubes don't need to be run often either. It is only the large tubes with argon reservoirs that can leak argon making the tubes high pressure that need to be run regularly. You can let these tubes sit for years and it won't degrade their outputs.

Huh. Well, that makes sense given this thing is nearly 20 years old. Still need to sell it though XD