Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

200pc 5v 650nm laser diode modules. Power source required? Budget build

FutabaUK

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice, I'm planning a bit of a DIY project where I use around 200pc 5v 650nm laser modules in a build. They are to be diffused by removing the lens cap.

Would there be any benefit in terms of power if I were to drive them through a proper driver? If so, what spec would I require? These modules are rated <40mw each.

I've seen a few people doing similar things and running from 4.5v battery supplies or 2x 5v USB power supplies.

Price is the main thing here and with the diodes costing pence each, if a few die along the way it won't be cause for concern.

I thought I'd ask here before getting started with anything.

Thank you for your time and any input you have,

Jay.

GSS

Do you have a link? or a name?
Are they just diodes or in a module? Axis red laser modules run from 3V to 5V so I see no issue with 4.5V. Are you planning 3 1.5V regular batterys?

He might run into some problems trying to run 200 off of three batteries. They pull very little current each, but at that number the current may be too high.

FutabaUK

Thanks both,

I'm looking at using generic cheap diode such as those you find on Ebay when typing "650nm 5v laser module".
I'm unable to include URLs in posts due to account being <20 posts, sorry about that!

With regards to the power source, would something like the following be ideal?
RS PRO, 50W Embedded Switch Mode Power Supply SMPS, 5V dc, Enclosed
  • RS Stock No. 161-8278

Many thanks​

GSS

He might run into some problems trying to run 200 off of three batteries. They pull very little current each, but at that number the current may be too high.
No No I meant the one diode:) and trying to figure out what he's looking at?

FutabaUK

GSS, Please copy and paste the following number into Ebay to see :)
Sorry for not thinking of this way before!

Many thanks

GSS

Adavnced search isn't showing anything for this item # I'll try again.

FutabaUK

Also, just do usual search. No need to search item numbers via advanced these days :)

GSS

Also, just do usual search. No need to search item numbers via advanced these days :)
I tried I really did and yup probably over did it with the advanced search, plus i'm not very good at "lap topping":whistle:
Glad you got a screen shot up.
I bought a 5 pack of those a while ago, to make into cat pointers. Great for the money but that you know;)