Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

200mw Red Burning Safety

Jeff88

Hi, all.

I recently got a 200mw red laser and a pair of safety glasses. I'm wondering if it's safe to burn with the laser if I have the glasses. The focal point while burning still seems pretty intense and I don't want to damage my eyes. I've red around about the basics and I think my glasses are safe but I'm still kinda nervous and I definitely don't want to damage my eyes.

Obviously the glasses won't protect against direct exposure but is it safe to look at the focal point? What about reflections (like off a white wall or a mirror)?

Thanks for any info!!!

if you have the correct glasses then you can look at any diffusion on any non reflective surface

they should also protect against accidental direct exposure

Jeff88

Sounds good, thanks for the reply. I noticed that through the glasses I can see the dot on my carpet fairly bright (about as bright as my green pointer if it's viewed without glasses) from my 200mw but my pointer (<5mw) is almost invisible. Is this normal? I know 200mw is a lot more than 5mw so I assumed it was.

midias

If they are the ultra cheap ebay blue lens glasses they will take my 200mw red down to 5mw but it still looks bright. They seems to be better for the 635nm wavelength than the 660nm.

They are better than nothing but I would save for a better pair

TuhOz

Sounds good, thanks for the reply. I noticed that through the glasses I can see the dot on my carpet fairly bright (about as bright as my green pointer if it's viewed without glasses) from my 200mw but my pointer (<5mw) is almost invisible. Is this normal? I know 200mw is a lot more than 5mw so I assumed it was.

So your goggles block both green and red? o_O
Is it possible(?)
Can you link the goggles?

Jeff88

No, sorry I didn't explain myself well. I mean the dot from the 200mw red viewed through the goggles has the same relative brightness as the green pointer's dot when viewed without glasses.

I've read some reviews and the Eagle Pair goggles seem good. Any opinions?

that sounds about right, just don't stare at it for like 10+ seconds or anything unless it's on a dark surface

midias

Are these the glasses you have

Red-Laser-Protective-Goggles-For-650nmRD3003.jpg

TuhOz

No, sorry I didn't explain myself well. I mean the dot from the 200mw red viewed through the goggles has the same relative brightness as the green pointer's dot when viewed without glasses.

I've read some reviews and the Eagle Pair goggles seem good. Any opinions?

Oh Okay.

Eagle pair is very good, yes.
I personally use Dragonlaser's goggles

Jeff88

Midias, those aren't mine. I think mine are just some cheap T-Rex ones which I've heard are less than stellar. Maybe good for guests who aren't looking too close? haha

I really appreciate all the responses I've received so far! Thanks!

Last edited:
Midias, those aren't mine. I think mine are just some cheap T-Rex ones which I've heard are less than stellar. Maybe good for guests who aren't looking too close? haha

I really appreciate all the responses I've received so far! Thanks!
Be carefull, there are some "safety" glasses around for red lasers that hardly protect you. If the dot looks bright, it's still dangerous. In ym experience red lasers can be quite high in power before looking dangerous, so be carefull. If you glasses don't have an OD rating and certification then don't trust them at all unless you're sure they work.

without goggles my 200mw red looks less birght then my 5mw green.

is my red way underpowered ? or i my cheap green way overspec ?

its a 200mw 650nm cute style host from lazerer i ot it running on 3.0 volt instead of the recommanded 3.7 battery's does this 0.7v do alot?

i can barly see the beam in a dark room i can see my 5mw green way beter also the dot

Last edited:

TuhOz

without goggles my 200mw red looks less birght then my 5mw green.

is my red way underpowered ? or i my cheap green way overspec ?

its a 200mw 650nm cute style host from lazerer i ot it running on 3.0 volt instead of the recommanded 3.7 battery's does this 0.7v do alot?

i can barly see the beam in a dark room i can see my 5mw green way beter also the dot

You should try diffrent batteries with your 200mw red, becouse you would easily see the beam in dark room.

ill try that as soon as they arrive at the moment i only have a few cr123a's 3.0v throw aways. i am glad it could try it out. already.

so a laser could it get damaged if you put the battery in the wrong way around and turn it on ( ofcource nothing happens then no beam)