Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

200mw red 303???

Laserguy107

So, i bought a 303, I thought it would be 50mw. It was way brighter than I thought, I know a friend who has a lpm. I measured it, and it was around 187mw. What are the odds of this happening twice?? The beam is also visible clearly in a well lit room.

If they used the LPC-816, 826, 836 or 840, it is very likely. I used the LPC-840s for several builds that came in around 400 mW for all of them. It is a 650nm diode, so it is not as bright as a 638nm diode mW for mW, but are still very visible even in well lit rooms. I bought a couple that were in a different host than the 303s, but one was 157 mW and the other a bit over 200 mW. At $9.98 each, not a bad deal either.

Laserguy107

If they used the LPC-816, 826, 836 or 840, it is very likely. I used the LPC-840s for several builds that came in around 400 mW for all of them. It is a 650nm diode, so it is not as bright as a 638nm diode mW for mW, but are still very visible even in well lit rooms. I bought a couple that were in a different host than the 303s, but one was 157 mW and the other a bit over 200 mW. At $9.98 each, not a bad deal either.
It was a open can diode. You can see it in the heatsink

It was a open can diode. You can see it in the heatsink

All the Mitsubishi LPC diodes are open can, so it is likely one of those. The LPC836 and LPC840 diodes are the most powerful being about 50 mW or higher than the lower number ones. They are not expensive at all either. I have had pretty good luck with all of mine, though some have said they had problems with the 840s.

Then again, it could be the ML101U29s as they are also open canned and even cheaper than the LPCs are. I still have a few in my stock having paid about $11.00 for five of them some years ago.

Last edited:

Laserguy107

All the Mitsubishi LPC diodes are open can, so it is likely one of those. The LPC836 and LPC840 diodes are the most powerful being about 50 mW or higher than the lower number ones. They are not expensive at all either. I have had pretty good luck with all of mine, though some have said they had problems with the 840s.
Cool! I got a good deal then. Anybody know when I can get a glass lense for it? The acrylic lenses are the thing that fails first

I'm not certain, but the lens housing is likely the M9X0.5 size and any glass lens should work with that housing. You can pick up a Chinese G2 for ~$8.00 which is about the best of all the options that will give you the least loss. You can get better G2s from DTR's laser shop, but they are more expensive and not necessary for a Gatling style laser, IMO. The DTR G2s are by far the best on the market at this time. You can also get 2 or 3 element compound lenses, but they will give you up to 30% loss in power. You will have to open the host up or screw the lens out to examine it. These housings are by far the most common in use with handheld lasers.

Laserguy107

I'm not certain, but the lens housing is likely the M9X0.5 size and any glass lens should work with that housing. You can pick up a Chinese G2 for ~$8.00 which is about the best of all the options that will give you the least loss. You can get better G2s from DTR's laser shop, but they are more expensive and not necessary for a Gatling style laser, IMO. The DTR G2s are by far the best on the market at this time. You can also get 2 or 3 element compound lenses, but they will give you up to 30% loss in power. You will have to open the host up or screw the lens out to examine it. These housings are by far the most common in use with handheld lasers.
Ok. I am going to buy a g2 lens.

Are you from Beijing or India? Unless your air is a serious health risk, the beam of a 200mW of red is NOT visible in a well-lit room.

Get a filter or die at 50.

Encap

FYI for next time---- a 532nm green is 18X visually brighter than a 650nm red of same output power so... an 80mW 532nm green is same brightness as a 1440 mW 650nm red laser is.

Laserguy107

FYI for next time---- a 532nm green is 18X visually brighter than a 650nm red of same output power so... an 80mW 532nm green is same brightness as a 1440 mW 650nm red laser is.
That's terrifying... 12$... If some teenager bought it, they might have messed their eyes up.

Encap

That's terrifying... 12$... If some teenager bought it, they might have messed their eyes up.

Not sure what you mean ---laser hazard/ability to damage eyes is determined by output power in mW not visual brightness, so your 187mW 650nm red laser is more than twice as dangerous to eyesight as an 80 mW 532nm green laser even though the green one is 8X brighter visually. Point is if you buy a 532nm green you can get a much brighter and more visible laser that is much less dangerous to eyesight.

Yes generally it is scary that very high output and dangerous lasers can be purchased by children who don't know any better.

See Laser Hazard Chart here: https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/FAA---visible-laser-hazard-calcs-for-LSF-v02.png

PS you should have good quality laser goggles/glasses to protect your eyes if you don't have a pair already

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Laserguy107

Indeed. The power of lasers available out there for cheap is scary! :(

-Alex
I knew I was going to get a powerful laser, but if
Not sure what you mean ---laser hazard/ability to damage eyes is determined by output power in mW not visual brightness, so your 187mW 650nm red laser is more than twice as dangerous to eyesight as an 80 mW 532nm green laser even though the green one is 8X brighter visually. Point is if you buy a 532nm green you can get a much brighter and more visible laser that is much less dangerous to eyesight.

Yes generally it is scary that very high output and dangerous lasers can be purchased by children who don't know any better.

See Laser Hazard Chart here: https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/FAA---visible-laser-hazard-calcs-for-LSF-v02.png

PS you should have good quality laser goggles/glasses to protect your eyes if you don't have a pair already
Don't worry, I have 2 pairs eagle pair glasses. But yeah. Kids should stick to Dollar store red lasers. I only bought one because I didn't have a 650nm. Only 638 lasers