Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

200mW laser

Hey everyone,
I want to get a 200mW laser. I don't care much about color, but I would prefer green. Could I get one for under $200? Also, how important are safety goggles/glasses when it comes to using lasers to burn random stuff? Is there a specific range that the laser can burn, or does it burn until the laser beam is out of range?

Goggles are a must. The Uvex ones from Amazon linked in my signature will work to get started.

$200 is enough for a 200mW 532nm green. but reds and blues are cheaper per Watt of power.

Distance IS a factor. But there is little difference between 2 and 6 feet. longer distance is possible with greater power.

jArdi

When its >5mw, you HAVE TO, HAVE TO, HAVE TO use safety goggles. thats NUMBER ONE priority. You only get one set of eyes, and I'm sure you would much rather have eyes than burn stuff with a laser.
Check out the Safety Section on why you should use goggles and which ones you could use. I just ordered these goggles for myself.

As for the laser - 200mw green is really fracking bright. I mean, really bright - and not to mention if it doesnt have an IR filter, it will absolutely be leaking IR.

Before you go up that high, i would try something lower first, see how you like that and experiment a little with it at night, and then maybe go to 100-150 and then 200.
I my first green laser is from ledshoppe at 50mw and its not BRIGHT, but its noticable. At night its bright though - the green in my avatar is 50mw.
Click Here for the LedShoppe 50mw Green

As for:
Is there a specific range that the laser can burn, or does it burn until the laser beam is out of range?"
Yes, it will depend on your lenses, as well as the power of your laser.

EDIT
also the ones pschlosser mentioned will be good as well for now...I just ordered those as well.

Last edited:
Is a 200mW red duller than the green? I just want a 200mW.

Honestly a 200mW red will be much less visible than a 200mW green. The green's beam will be way more visible.

You can get a 200mW red for 45$ at Lazerer. (Overspec usually)

You can get a 200mW green (DPSS) for 140$ at Lazerer. (Overspec usually)

Last edited:
For that price you can get a premium Ti B from Hakzaw or Jetlasers, one of the best Greenie around.

Hope it helps :beer:

What are you looking to do with the laser in particular? I'm guessing you are focused on burning capability since you specify 200mW but don't care about the color. As was said earlier, blues (405nm and 445nm) are pretty cheap per mW of power.

Hey everyone,
I want to get a 200mW laser. I don't care much about color, but I would prefer green. Could I get one for under $200? Also, how important are safety goggles/glasses when it comes to using lasers to burn random stuff? Is there a specific range that the laser can burn, or does it burn until the laser beam is out of range?

He would prefer Green. While green laser burning distance is shorter than Blue one. Green is better in visibility part and Blue is better in burning part. Hope he is able to make up his mind :)

Last edited:
I don't care about laser color as much as burning capabilities. A 200mW laser with any color and with the most burning capabilities ( as in range and most things being able to be burned) is a laser that would fit me as good as my shoes.

I don't care about laser color as much as burning capabilities. A 200mW laser with any color and with the most burning capabilities ( as in range and most things being able to be burned) is a laser that would fit me as good as my shoes.

I posted links!!! Tell me what you think! :banghead::banghead:

RedDart,
I was actually planning on buying the LZCS. I already bought some safety goggles for it, but I was waiting to see how many other lasers would be mentioned. And I thank you very much for taking the time to refer some lasers.
AceAngel,
Are blues better than other colors for burning, or is it just that blue is better than green?