Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

200mW 375nm UV Build

Congratulations on another very nice build, Zach. Your wavelength collection is really increasing in numbers of lasers. Thank you for sharing it with us here.

Thanks Paul. Yeah definitely getting just about everything I've wanted by now. 3 of the 4 on my list are easily accessible too.

I've since switched out the G3 lens for a G8. Took a dremel and shortened the lens barrel to keep the adapter flush with the host to squeeze out a bit more power.

Thanks Paul. Yeah definitely getting just about everything I've wanted by now. 3 of the 4 on my list are easily accessible too.

I've since switched out the G3 lens for a G8. Took a dremel and shortened the lens barrel to keep the adapter flush with the host to squeeze out a bit more power.

Yeah, I* rarely used multi-element lenses in any of my builds. I've always favored the single element aspheres.

Laserin

Can this laser be overdrive up to above 1000mW (Class IV Dangerous Laser)?, because other Sharp Diode Lasers can also be overdrive far above the usual output power such as Sharp 505nm 35mW (peak power 191mW), Sharp 405nm 350mW (peak power above 2000mW), and Osram PLT5 450B 80mW(408mW Peak Power)

You're welcome to try and prove me wrong, but I'd say there's zero chance of it and would be a waste of time/money trying. This diode in particular is known to be very temperature sensitive - there is already a case of one being driven at suggested current that died due to thermals getting out of tolerance (20-30C). As current increases, so does the rate of temperature increase.

This one in the thread is also from ushio, not sharp. Sharp has a 380nm diode with a similar temperature range, but that range really is the determining factor here.

tehfrr

Ive been wanting one of these for years now to help focus a UV camera in low light on things far away.
Are lasers like this (200mw @ 375nm) still only in the realm of DIY?

Ive been wanting one of these for years now to help focus a UV camera in low light on things far away.
Are lasers like this (200mw @ 375nm) still only in the realm of DIY?
Does 405nm not work for you?

Assuming you tried and it doesn't work, you're in for paying at least 30x more.

Yes still just diy, 375nm and 380nm bare diodes are still way too expensive (though they have gone down a fair bit since I made this thread). DIY is your only option right now, especially if you want it portable and want to keep it below $5000. Technically you could buy a lab laser off CNI for that price.

If you are OK with wall plug and want something pre-made, you can look on ebay for 355nm lasers, though you'll need to be careful to order one with a driver and heatsink as it's notoriously difficult to get drivers for that type of laser. Every now and again one shows up under $1000.

tehfrr

yeah I have a Sanwu Pocket 405nm at 500 mW and its not enough.
If I went the wall plug-in route Id be carrying around a battery bank in my backpack..
The graph shows what my UV filter will transmit.

Sounds like its DIY it is then.
You have a really cool build. Im surprised its dim violet as id expect a dim gray as well.

Attachments

• baader-u-venus-filter-1-1-4-350nm-e49.jpg
    baader-u-venus-filter-1-1-4-350nm-e49.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 7
yeah I have a Sanwu Pocket 405nm at 500 mW and its not enough.
If I went the wall plug-in route Id be carrying around a battery bank in my backpack..
The graph shows what my UV filter will transmit.

Sounds like its DIY it is then.
You have a really cool build. Im surprised its dim violet as id expect a dim gray as well.
Ah yeah if that's the graph, then you're stuck with DIY or a more expensive lab unit. Ebay has some of the sharp 380s for under $300 which is the lowest they have ever been by a wide margin, so now is the best time there's ever been to get one.

The color really only is noticeable if it's pointed at a material that isn't fluorescent or phosphorescent. Some cases it's a white spot with a purple halo on paints, on plants you'll see it fluorescing red. It's very material dependent.