Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

200 Mw laser in eyes???

I went to Italy and there are street vendors everywhere and they sell lasers. Anyways I bought one and I know nothing about lasers. Well we all messed around with it and shined it in peoples eyes without caring until I saw it was a 200 mw laser and looked it up. Could it really be 200 Mw?? It has a big beam a night in the sky but not so much at day. Anyway none of my friends or me feel any affects at all. Is it possible it has some sort of lens on it to make it less powerful?? Everyone there buys them, even all the little kids. I got it for around 7 euros, about 10 dollars, which seems a bit cheap for a nice laser. Is there some sort of damage in my eyes that I cant tell? I don't see any black dots or anything in my vision.

and it is people like this who ruin the laser hobby for everyone........shame on you

To answer your question you can use the search bar located at the bottom of this community and find the answer yourself

also try searching overspec ebay laser and see what your laser is capable of. I will ask one thing of you, post a picture of the laser so we can see what it is and advise from there. i really want to help but you acted in such a horribly irresponsible way.

well you shouldn't shine any laser in anyone's eye.

200mW for a laser costing that little is not likely, but possible. what color is it? a green laser will have a more visible beam at lower power than other lasers. In theory only lasers 5mW and below can be shone directly into people's eyes without causing harm, and only if they quickly blink.

the safest thing to do would be to see an optometrist and check to see if there is damage, sometimes it doesn't immediately manifest as vision loss, but could later.

Didn't you bother to read the Attention sticker near the aperture ???

AVOID DIRECT EYE EXPOSURE !!!!
586.gif

I'd say if you got hit in the eye with a 200 Megawatt Laser
as your title suggests... there should now be a hole in the
back of your head...:whistle:

Jerry

We should track down this person's IP and give it to the Italian law enforcement authorities.
That's not enough to make an alibi , but proclaiming you INTENTIONALLY shown it into people's eyes is more than enough for them to start an investigation