Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2 lasers 445nm dead

Fivos

Hello guys today my 2nd 445nm laser died. On the first case i made a driver with a transistor (lm317) and the pins of the transistor hit each other and my diode fried. In the second, i ordered a driver but it never came.. so i built one. an lm317 voltage regulator with a potentiometer powered by a 9 volt batterie. the laser was outputting about 300mw or so. but it was getting weaker and weaker. and today it died. PLEASE HELP!!!anyone knowswhu it died and how to build your own driver for a 445nm diode and what batteries should you use (exept jayrob and flexdrive drivers) Thanks.,...

Kevlar

Are you sure your second one died? If you used one of those small 9V batteries, its probably just the battery died. Those don't have any where near the capacity needed to drive a 445nm diode.

Do you have a picture of you LM317 driver you built?

A 9V can't power a 445 diode reliably. Try a beefier voltage source of at least 7V.

Fivos

how can i upload it??? I am new in laserpointerfoums. Have I to upload it first???

Kevlar

Easiest way is to just use a free image hosting site like ImageShack® - Online Media Hosting

Yup, this is what I do as well, except I use Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

You could also attache the pic to your post. Instead of selecting "post quick reply" select "go advanced" instead. It will then have a paperclip icon which allows you to attach it to the post. But either way make sure the pic is no bigger than 800X600 so people don't have to scroll sideways to see the whole pic, its just good forum etiquette. :)

You can also read here in the FAQ section of the forum on how to do it:
http://laserpointerforums.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachments

A quick test: see if using a new 9V battery makes the second laser bright again. Really, you should be using batteries that can supply more current, not to mention are less expensive-per-unit/charge than the 9V ones. If you can't get some LiPo batteries, try getting a 9.6V NiMH RC battery pack or some strung-up C or D batteries.

Fivos

Thank gys. the problem was with the 9 volt batterie. I now use 2 18650 with an lm317 transistor and a potentimeter and it works great...!!!

Thank gys. the problem was with the 9 volt batterie. I now use 2 18650 with an lm317 transistor and a potentimeter and it works great...!!!

Good to hear!

Word of note: the LM317 is an adjustable linear regulator, not a transistor (it is made with them though).