Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2" heatsink, 2x "C" host

Looks like a microphone, I know. LOL

The online metal place sent me the wrong order, and then let me keep it (a 2" diameter piece of Al). I wanted to make a custom host for it but I screwed that up.. I really need to learn how to thread on a lathe, the hand method is hard.

Originally, I wanted to use it for a 8x or 12x blu ray. Then I noticed I had an extra 532nm module that kept staring at me. Also, Home Depot had a cheap Husky on sale that I wanted to see if I could bore out to accommodate x2 C batteries.

It worked out ok. I used some drain cleaner to strip off the black anodizing and make the host match the massive heat sink. Everyone who sees it tells me, "Nice microphone." lol. I guess I will do some duty cycle tests and see if the module lasts longer than with pocket pal sized heat sinks. Although, I'm not sure if it will matter being that it is a cheap green module.

Anywhoo, here are the pics.
pics001.jpg

pics002d.jpg

pics003l.jpg

last one is for size reference.

Last edited:

Benm

Thats one darn big laser head.. should be capable of serious sustained power with all that heatsinking in place. Might look like a microphone, but i bet it will prove to be one of the best performers demonstrated in a long time!

Thanks guys. I am going to do a time test on the green module that is in there now. After it dies, if it does, I have a sacrificial PHR that will take its place. Hopefully the PHR will net some decent results and I will feel brave enough to through an 8x in there and torture it a bit too.

For the LPM, I'd have to track down my neighbor, Mr. Lawson. I'll bug him once I purchase the 8x for sure.

Thanks guys. I am going to do a time test on the green module that is in there now. After it dies, if it does, I have a sacrificial PHR that will take its place. Hopefully the PHR will net some decent results and I will feel brave enough to through an 8x in there and torture it a bit too.

For the LPM, I'd have to track down my neighbor, Mr. Lawson. I'll bug him once I purchase the 8x for sure.

Im sure he wouldent mind too much, John is a great guy! I have one of his builds :)

John is a great guy indeed. It was his RPL that he let me play with that gave me this idea. I had no idea how big those lasers were until after he showed me....never would've considered using C batteries in a build.

John is a great guy indeed. It was his RPL that he let me play with that gave me this idea. I had no idea how big those lasers were until after he showed me....never would've considered using C batteries in a build.

Does he still have his RPL?

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure I read a post of his where he said he got rid of it. It was a beast too :( His blue RPL was even more awesome.

Initial 532nm test results..

The module I installed was from a DX 5mW pen, with the big blue resistor. I cranked up the pot until it appeared brightest. It looks just as bright as my 50mW greenies, but not as bright as my 100mW units. I know, I need a Laserbee :(. IIRC I previously measured it at 255mA on my DMM, but I don't claim to know how to measure that correctly. I did use some thermal grease to install it into the heatsink (press fit), and two fresh Duracell C batteries.

I used a stop watch to time the "on" cycle and stopped the test at 30 minutes. The beam got noticeably brighter after 2 minutes and remained that way for the remainder of the test. The heatsink never got even a little bit warm for the entire duration of the cycle. I figured 30 minutes was long enough because the module was of the DX variety, and in my experience they always seem to only last a minute or two (max) before becoming noticeably dimmer (in a pen host or pocket pal). Also, I have NEVER used any laser longer than 2 minutes, so 30 minutes seemed like forever to me.

I will push the PHR for a much longer duration in the next test. I still have to harvest it though.