Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1w 445nm Laser Case Pin?

Ok so I've been searching a lot around the forums, and I cant seem to find a solid answer. I want to build a lab laser using a FlexDrive v5 at 1.25a and i dont really know whether i should bridge the case pin and negative, or not. So would it work it i just wired the cathode and the anode of the diode to the - and + of the driver and just cut off the case pin. And then wired the - and + input of the driver to the - and + of my battery pack.

thanks

GBD

These diodes are case neutral, there is no electrical connection from either pin to case, so you can bond either positive or negative pin to the case pin, your choice. If you want to fully isolate the heatsink electrically, then you can do as you described, and not use the case at all.

Last edited:
ok so i also read about esd and how bridging the case pin to the negative protects it. If i did isolate the heatsink electrically, would i need to do that? Also what would be the easiest way to isolate the heatsink?

thanks

GBD

bridging any pin won't protect you from ESD, only way I can see is maybe have -/+ shorted out during storage. What will protect you from ESD is proper handling with anti-static messures, and TVS or other transient suppression to put on the diode itself. Generally with 445nm diodes, they have been proven pretty robust, so as long as its within reason, I won't worry about it.

445nm, just do as you described and it will give you an isolated heatsink. Just so long nothing of your driver or battery comes in contact with it (if its that important). the die is already isolated from the diode's case to begin with. Reason people bridge thier pins to the case, is when it goes into a handheld host, its just easier to use your host as negative or positive. (seeing the host is typically a conductor, and will finish the circuit)

Last edited:

Fiddy

there is no electrical connection from either pin to case, so you can bond either positive or negative pin to the case pin, your choice.

No, that means they are isolated from the case, Hence case isolated.

Last edited: