Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1mw 630-680nm laser

joshua_8671

okay so this may come across as a really STUPID post but anyways...

so at my warehouse we use RF handheld scanners, just to scan barcodes with etc etc
on the label it says that the scanner is a:
class II
1mw
630-680nm laser

people at my workplace tend to shine the lasers in other peoples eyes for reasons i don’t know ... so i’m always conscious at looking down at the floor when walking past people.

my question is, can these types of lasers cause eye damage, i’ve tried googling but i find contradictory statements.... i’m quite an anxious person and i always worry about the affect it could have on my eyes

and also can someone explain the rather simple phrase of ‘don’t stare into beam’ does this mean having the beam directly pointed into your eyes... or to not stare/look into it from any angle

for example when i scan items, sometimes i see the red beam of the laser from a side view not directly so to speak and sometimes it’s for periods of 5-10 seconds, my eyes have never got watery etc and the laser seems some what faint from that angle ..,so imagine if someone’s pointing a laser and you view it from the side, if that makes any sense

it’s also important to mention that my country has made it illegal to have lasers over 1mw for sale, so surely the company i work for would have to abide by that?

joshua_8671

thank you for the link, also quick question... can this type of laser damage your eyes if you look at it from the side... or is that still considered as looking at the beam directly?