Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

18650 output current

Dsmith

How relevent is the output current of an 18650? I will be running a NUBM44-v2 with an ACS5500BU driver. I'm seeing 18650's for sale with anywhere from 6.5 to 40 amp output. Advice would be extremely appreciated. Thanks guys!

Anthony P

There is a trade-off with 18650s between current output and capacity. Capacity takes bigger cells and current takes bigger conductors. There is only so much room inside the battery. Once you have established plenty of current, then go for capacity.

Reactions: GSS

Dsmith

I'm just not sure if a 20 or 30 amp discharge 18650 will be okay with my setup or if I need to go lower. Kinda new with battery specs lol

Spoomples

You'll need two 18650s to power that driver, and they'lll need to be rated for at least 5 amps of continuous output. Its very important to get good batteries from a reputable source (cheap ones lose a LOT of their capacity at high drain currents). Ones rated for 20-30 amps might be overkill, but they will work just fine.

Last edited:

Dsmith

Okay I dont mind overkill just dont want any excessive heat or diode/driver life reduction.

I get all my 18650s from liionwholesale.com. Since you are in the US they are really good about only shipping new and tested cells. I have over a dozen from them and everyone tested above the rated capacity. You will have a shipping charge, so it would be best to buy as many as you might think you'll need at once.

Encap

The draw is just a rating of the maximum number of amps the battery can deliver under maximum continuous discharge conditions.

Excessive heat, overheat, drivers and diode life conditions of a hand held laser are not determined by the above but by several other factors.

Last edited: