Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

18650 Charger from WL and elsewhere

li_ion_charger.jpg

18650.jpg

I've noticed that pretty much every 18650 charger has the two long charging slots running vertically, but also has two horizontal slots that are about half the length. I can't find information on any of the websites selling the chargers as to what type of battery the two short slots are for. Anyone know?

Yes they will hold a RCR-123 cell but they won't charge it, they aren't connected :crackup:

plexus

Yes they will hold a RCR-123 cell but they won't charge it, they aren't connected :crackup:

i have a charger that looks exactly like that and both the 18650 and 123 slots work and charge the respective batteries.

Huh, that's a bit ridiculous? You mean WL's won't charge with the horizontal slots, or none of the 18650 chargers will?

I'd actually be interested in getting one that can charge both.

Check your voltages if you have the 220V version of the DSD charger. A while back I remember people reporting improper charge termination or overcharging of cells, but the only consistency between these spread-out reports was the fact that they were on 220V power.

Info on the dsd: charge termination is taken care of by a cell protection chip in the charger itself. Both charging bays are paralleled (meaning don't charge unbalanced cells) The charge rate is determined by how many mA the wall transformer is putting out. Usually, this is 350mA to make it safe for use with rcr123 cells. If you only plan on charging 18650, you can find a wall plug that has similar voltage output but a more desirable output current (I had a 1A transformer for a while before I decided to get a charger with independent channels)

Modding this to work with RCR123s should be easy. I never actually tested mine, but mine the cr123 bays were hot. Not my pic, but minelooked just like this on the inside:
dsdinside.jpg