Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

~17W, 15W and 12W blue laser handle with orange body!

Anthony P

LPF Site Supporter
We have rocks in Ohio too! I just have no way to identify them. I'll see what I can do.

thanhtung

You got me curious, so I suspended the dye laser project for a few minutes to fire up the CO2.
Dialed in at 15 watts and well focused I was able to scorch the surface and penetrate to a depth of 1/16" on red clay brick, and ceramic tile.
I do realize that 10.6um is a far cry from 450ish nm, but raw power wise, it did the trick.
Dear everyone!
I have just upload my video with a piece stone
And the deep in it i did is 1mm+

Last edited:

Anthony P

LPF Site Supporter
I obtained samples of both quartz and granite from Lowes countertop sales associate. At 15W the CO2 easily etches both. The quartz reacts somewhat violently. The traces left behind have a shiny metallic appearance. When I have time, I will post a video with various power levels up to 50W.

paul1598419

I suspect the nature of the rock will make a difference. If you have some that are similar to ceramics used to hold molten metals, these might be more difficult to burn into.

thanhtung

I suspect the nature of the rock will make a difference. If you have some that are similar to ceramics used to hold molten metals, these might be more difficult to burn into.
Ok, i will update new video with ceramics soon :))