Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

120mW Calibrated Laser Power Meter Optic Sensor

Laq

Check this ebay auction.  its an mW output measuring device for up to 120mW.

Way cheaper to buy compared to a LaserCheck.  Anyone got experience with such measuring devices?

(Remove the "###" and copy paste link,.. i dont have link-posting rights, so i dont know another way to post it...)

htt###p://cgi.ebay.co###m/120mW-Calibrated-Laser-Power-Meter-Optic-Sensor-Module_W0QQitemZ140140121629QQihZ004QQcategoryZ14954QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Info copied out of the auction:

This auction is for one (1) BRAND NEW Electronic Pre-Calibrated Laser Power Meter Sensor Module.
The HLPM comes pre-assembled and Pre-Calibrated so
you can use it as soon as it arrives.

The Laser Power Module was designed to let the hobbyist technician know
the output power of any Lasers from 400nm to 1100nm.
It uses the same optical correction as the Sper Scientific Laser Power Meters.
These HLPMs were calibrated using a Coherent LaserCheck Laser Power Meter.
Can check Lasers from 0.1mW to 120mW output power in 0.1mW increments.

Simply attach a 9 volt battery and connect the output to a Digital Multi-Meter of your choice.
(Inexpensive Digital Multimeters can be purchased on eBay for less than $10.00)
Set the scale of the DMM to 200mv... shine the Laser beam onto the
Silicone Optical sensor and read the Laser Power output directly
without the need to calculate a complicated mathematical formula.

If your DMM shows a reading of 16.7 millivolts... your Laser beam
output power is 16.7 milliWatts. It's that simple.

This BRAND NEW Electronic Item has been bench tested and is guaranteed not to be DOA.
Measures aprox. 1.5" x 0.5" x 0.4" with 7.5" leads.
Large Optical Sensor area aprox. 3.6mm x 3.6mm.

Re: 120mW Calibrated Laser Power Meter Optic Senso

I would treat that with some caution, something similar to these have appeared before and were proved to be just a scam.

Jase

Daedal

Well... not necessarily... It's just not accurate and it uses a simple photodiode and a voltmeter. The principle is very basic and is optimized for red.... to calculate anything else you'd need to convert the output based on some equation... Thus his claim:

Code:
Silicone Optical sensor and read the Laser Power output directly
without the need to calculate a complicated mathematical formula.

Simply invites criticism because he says:

Code:
It uses the same optical correction as the Sper Scientific Laser Power Meters.

Just a couple sentences before it. Kenom had bought one of his first units and they were only rated to 50mW, he now is comming up with 80mW and 120mW units.. He must have found some new photodiodes I guess.

Either way, the price is definitely attractive, but the unit would easily be replicated at home by buying some photodiodes from www.digikey.com and calibrating it to a known HeNe output or something...

GL;
DDL

Laq

Hi Daedal,
thanks for the info, it will be mainly used for 532nm greenies.

Can you tell me what kind of equation that would be to convert the output into a correct measurement? :cool:

Daedal

That would have to be something that you need to get from the seller himself. :-[

Never bought from him and I refuse to overpay for a little photodiode mounted to a couple wires!

Kenom bought one in the past, it MAY be the same equation, you might want to ask him... I would suggest asking the seller beforehand though ;)

GL, and let us know how it turns out;
DDL

S

SenKat

Hey - if you want one of these, I'll sell you one for half price ! :) Of course, it will work the same if not better than his does - which is not at all. It is total crap, and a complete waste of money, I assure you - it will respond to red a little bit, but there is some math involved, and it is far from accurate. I could whip up one of these from parts found at radio shack just like he does - and sell the hell outta them to unsuspecting peeps - but I have morals and a much better view of my fellow human beings than this A$$HOLE does. He rips people off, and then hammers them in feedback if you complain. I am telling you - beware of this clown - he is a total scam artist, and a total jerk - you WILL REGRET doing business with this guy - no joke !!!

I HATE seeing SCAMMERS like this jerk making a living off of people !!! ARRRGH !

Yep, you might as well just look at the dot and go with your gut. May not be as precise, but will be more accurate!

Laq

hahaha ;D thanks for the replies.

its good to know all this.

@SenKat: Ill send you a PM soon, for more info.

Hehe. Just noticed its a "silicone optical sensor" :D. You know what else silicone is used for? ;)

Laq

nope, not really :-?

surprise me :p