Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

10440 Lithium-Ion Cells

Has anyone used Powerizer branded 10440s before? I was just looking around BatterySpace.com and found this

I have a few cheapo 8 LED direct drive from 3 AAA lights, a lot like this DX one. how about using that as a host? Just two cells should be enough voltage for a BluRay and constant current driver :) use the space where the other cell would have gone for the driver.

Any thoughts?

S

SenKat

Dunno if you can squeeze two AA sized batts into a space normally occupied by three AAA's....I have not tried that before, but I htink it would be a super tight fit ! The 10440's and 10450's are pretty nice batteries, no idea about the quality of those ones, I have never purchased from those folks before.

Thanks G,
Another question, I thought for Lithium cells the first two numbers were the diameter in mm and the rest of the numbers were the length in 0.1mm. :-/ Is that not correct?

AAAs being about 10mm in diameter and 44-45mm long I thought it would easily fit.

BTW URL under your avatar and link in sig = nice in case someone doesn't know to click username for contact info.

S

SenKat

Thanks, man :) I am actually not sure HOW the liths are named...what you say makes sense, but in this case does not fit :(

I don't understand, the specsheet says:

Nominal Voltage Average 3.7 V
NominalCapacity 300 mAh,
Max.Charging current 0.35 A Max.
Max.Discharging current 0.7 A (2c)max.
Dimensions 10 Dia. x 43 Height ( mm )
Weight 0.6 oz
Internal Impedance Internal Impedance: less or equal to 110 mohm (with PTC)
Cycle Performance 80% of initial capacity at 300 cycles

Was I to read your reply that you have some 10440 and 10450 cells and they are AA size? ::confused::

Benm

10440 = AAA
14500 = AA
16340 = CR123

Convention is diameter in mm followed by length in 0.1mm. However, it varies between suppliers if the 'nipple' on top of the battery is included in the length or not.

For the 3AAA holder: you can use a dummy cell, but you can also just solder a wire into the remaining receptacle.

Thanks Benm,
I think I'll go ahead and order some. I plan on using the empty slot to hold the Li-Ion protection circuit, and the LD driver.

Yet another set of questions, if I use a overcurrent, overcharge, overdischarge, over temperature protection circuit, can I just send 8.5 Volts at 1/2 C to a 2 cell pack to charge? or do I still need a smart charger?

I've always been a bit afraid of Li-Ions, so I'm just now learning about using them.

Gazoo

I heard about this being done but you would need to watch the voltage and check the batteries for heat. Personally I would not even think about it. One small slip up and you could end up with a big bang and a fire. Or what if the protection circuitry doesn't kick in? A smart charger isn't that expensive. And BTW, the charge should terminate at 8.4 volts. ;)

I don't mean to sound paranoid about using li-ion's, but I do caution everyone to use as much caution as possible. :p

And now I am hearing reports of RC lipo's expanding on their own.. :eek:

Why not get a 7135 and use 3 nimh batteries? You have the perfect host for it.

Benm

I'd recommend using a 'real' charger at all times. The protection circuitry inside protected cells will prevent them from becoming explosive to over charge or deep discharge... but just ramming current in them till the protection kicks in is not good for battery life at all.

S

SenKat

AHA ! I HATE that system ! Sorry for causing doubts, and I am REALLY glad someone stepped in to correct me :) (whew)

Gazoo said:
Why not get a 7135 and use 3 nimh batteries? You have the perfect host for it.

Thanks Gazoo, I'm planning to do just that for a red, but I wanted to have the option to run a Mary (BluRay) as well. I thought about using five 1/2 AAAs but at only 120mAh I thought I'd want a longer runtime. I may still go that route, but I've been wanting to start playing with Li-ION/Li-Po cells so I thought this might be a good time.

Benm said:
I'd recommend using a 'real' charger at all times. The protection circuitry inside protected cells will prevent them from becoming explosive to over charge or deep discharge... but just ramming current in them till the protection kicks in is not good for battery life at all.

Benm, thank you. I'll spring for the smart charger. I just looked and most of the protection circuits don't cut out until 8.7 V for a two cell battery. And from what I've read that's WAY too high unless I just want one or two cycles.

Do you know anything about where to find cells, protection circuits, and chargers for a good price? Does the site I've linked to look like a fair price?

Greg, I'd like to thank you as well. I'd MUCH rather someone cause me to doubt and delay my purchase by an hour or two than to spend a bunch of $$$ on something that won't work or may even be dangerous.

And I'd like to thank my family for all the ways they give me support, and my second grade teacher Joe, and my dog Spot, and.....Sorry, I got a bit carried away. :D LOL

S

SenKat

a_pyro_is....

You are a NUT ! :) I am sorry I got the two types confused, and damned glad I learned something new today ! :)

Benm

a_pyro_is said:
[quote author=Gazoo link=1193672987/0#7 date=1193697579]

Benm, thank you. I'll spring for the smart charger. I just looked and most of the protection circuits don't cut out until 8.7 V for a two cell battery. And from what I've read that's WAY too high unless I just want one or two cycles.

Do you know anything about where to find cells, protection circuits, and chargers for a good price? Does the site I've linked to look like a fair price?

Dealextreme has a nice selection of chargers and batteries, but do read the reviews before you order - they vary in quality.

However, i have never seen protected 10440 cells around. The 14500, 16340 and such are easily available protect, but for the 10440 you may need to find another way to protect from deep discharge. A charger will obviously prevent over-charging these, which is the major risk in terms of kaboom ;)

Could an over-discharge protection circuit for two cells be as simple as a resistor limiting current through a 5.6 V zener diode, holding a transistor open?