Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

100mw 520 module from techhood/ebay

GSS

Your right, it isn't right to advertise it that way.. It took me half a day to realize the green looked a bit different than a 532 even.
I tried all day to light a match also. Shut all the lights off to darken the room and still barely saw a beam. I was actually more excited for a 100% duty cycle beam to lay back and relax and watch it than burning.. Now seeing even if I could drive it up, 38mw isn't the best beam profile.. Finally looked through the front with a flashlight and saw no 532 added lenses..
That front cover was just a thin tin piece that mangled coming out.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, I remember you saying about yours Peter. Yep, definitely no 532 DPSS. I'm starting to wonder whether yours is a 505, or an overdriven 510/515 like Roberts?

RedCowboy

LPF Site Supporter
I wondered why the heat sink never gets the least bit warm and the output slowly trickles down, well the heat sink is just for looks there's a plastic spacer that prevents the large black heat sink from doing anything, it's a 5.6 diode with 4 pins one appears to be a case pin and there's probably a photodiode as I bet these are used in devices limited to 5mw.
The can is a thick brass looking deal with a small output hole and I don't see any window.

Anyone know diode this is ?

Last edited:

GSS

Wow.. That's a strange one..
Mine just might have a plastic piece over the module but it's black. Same blob of white glue on the back of the diode.
Maby I can post some pics.

Edit: Looks like I have the exact same unit.. What I thought that was a black spacer looking down the front was the reflection of the black anodizing that's alot thicker in the back half off the heatsink.
From the back you see the same white plastic sleeve, and the 2 prong connect that's on the side 2 pins of the 4.

Last edited:

RedCowboy

LPF Site Supporter
They probably got a deal on some out of spec diodes made for 5mw consumer products, hence the case pin and feedback so they can be used in a wide variety of devices, the heavy brass housing would let a it operate in plastic at 5mw.

paul1598419

Man, that is a major disappointment. I wouldn't have guessed they used a plastic spacer to completely nullify the lab host. That is total nonsense.