Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

100mW 457nm DPSS Laser

Hey,

The 577 isn't the only new toy I got recently. I took a small break away from that one while I try figuring out how to color correct videos... that isn't going so well. In the meantime, say hello to a 457nm DPSS laser! This (I believe) is the 457-ST-I by Sintec Optronics. As for how old it is, its S/N is 0912281051. Maybe it was manufactured on Dec 28 2009? Seems to be a good date for one of these heads to be necessary, and the stickers look worn enough that I'd believe it. Hard to tell by guessing, if somebody knows if their serial number translates into a date let me know.

This is mostly a curiosity nowadays with how common 450nm diodes are. It being 457nm is pure blue without a hint of purple in the splash, much like how the 462's and 465's are. As expected the beam quality DPSS offers is hard to beat, which is the main attraction on this laser.

This is one of a few projects I have been working with our very own farbe2 aka Stephan on getting. This is something I've had my eyes on a long time ago and sort of forgotten about when the blue diodes came into the scene, so THANK YOU @farbe2 for giving me this opportunity. The other projects aren't quite ready, but keep your eyes open hopefully later this year? Maybe? Even if they end up not working out we'll have something to share. If someone is looking for a hint, the main show is one of the two gaps in my sig.

As usual, link to the album with more images is here.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Very nice laser. Not common to see that wavelength DPSS.

julianthedragon

That pure royal blue in DPSS looks nice. What video color correction software did you try so far?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I'm pretty sure it uses frequency doubled Nd:YAG or Nd:YVO4
It is the 914nm line of Nd:YVO4. But that's not what I was getting at. These DPSS modules aren't a regularity on here.

Thanks guys! CurtisOliver has the process right, 914nm from YVO4 doubled.

What video color correction software did you try so far?
I've mostly been trying to script paint.net to repeat the same effect across all frames in a video, though I'm having a bit of trouble with the code. Layers are easy but running 3rd party plugins has me scratching my head. I had some success with using VSDC, applying a couple effects and making adjustments on a color saturation circle, but I think I'm going to lean into the script idea. I know I can do it; just need time to figure out how.

julianthedragon

If all else fails you could try DaVinci Resolve, it's a free editing software known for its dedicated color correction module (relatively easy to pick up with some quick youtube tutorials)

What kind of power are you getting out of this Zach? I looked for that and apologize if I missed it.

Missed the thread title :)

Though it isn't quite the most stable, it tends to hop between 100 ish and 60 ish mW every now and again. May just be that I am not running the head on a heat spreader, as the internal fan is not enough.

farbe2

The head runs at less than maximum laser diode current. There is some headroom left.
You could also try to adjust the temperature (temp pot on my driver) and see if that helps.

Missed the thread title :)

Though it isn't quite the most stable, it tends to hop between 100 ish and 60 ish mW every now and again. May just be that I am not running the head on a heat spreader, as the internal fan is not enough.
Yeah, that is where I missed it. It seemed unlikely you would leave off that information. Thanks.

Beautiful laser. Can you measure how narrow of wavelength it outputs? I've never had a DPSS blue, but you're right that the beam specs offer something special over a blue diode.