Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1000MW Red or 1500MW Blue?? Pros and cons of each??

I agree as well. 445nm appears far brighter than 638nm to me.

Also, Mitsus have sad divergence compared to 445s from what I see.

Yup. I'm waiting on my first 1W right now, but at the same power, 445nm is much, much, more visible to me.

Also the divergence of the 638nm mistsu, 300mW is IMO about twice as bad as an m140.

The dot on the 300mW's is also so much worse, with wings and artifacts.

While a red beam is cool, overall, my preference is for 445nm.

I'm just really puzzled that so many people seem to see 638nm as being brighter. I guess maybe it's down to individual color perception.

Impressive during the day - When you can see a faint beam in daylight or the dot can be seen on a tree half a mile away in the middle of the day that really shows the power of a laser.

I would say red and blue are both not good for this. with all your specs listed above, and wanting good divergence, you described a green lol.

Michael.

To me 638nm has a considerably brighter dot but a much fainter beam - that makes sense because rayleigh scattering is about 4 times stronger on 445nm.

To me 638nm has a considerably brighter dot but a much fainter beam - that makes sense because rayleigh scattering is about 4 times stronger on 445nm.

This also makes some sense. I think my perception of smaller wavelength light is better than most since I view 445nm vs 638nm as the 445nm dot being about 1.5x brighter than that of a 638nm. The beam on the other hand from the 445nm would be at least 3-4x that of a 638nm in my perception.

On that note, I have messed with 808nm diodes and to me they generate a far more visible deep red red dot than I expected so I may see better further on both sides of the spectrum. I would love to get some sort of test done to see how I compare to others.

Last edited: