Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1000 mw blue laser help

hello, i just bought a 808nm 1000 mw high power laser diode 1 watt, and i dont know what stuff i need to build it. i though it would be as easy as sticking a battery pack and switch and a few resisters and stuff to it, but when i youtbed it, it not. please help. thanks

You have to be careful with a laser of that power in that wavelenght.
808nm is above the visible spectrum. Make sure you have the correct safty glasses and know what you are pointing it at!

And I almost forgot 808nm is not blue.

It doesn't have a color... Well, not one that the human eye can see at least.
Thats why these lasers are most dangerous. Without glasses you can't see the beam so big whop right? Wrong. Even without being able to see it it is very bad for your eyes. And if this where to hit you in the eye. Boom, blinded! I suggest you build a red laser first. It will teach you the basics and you wont have to worry about frying your more expensive diodes. Most importantly, get safety glasses. If you don't wear them, say goodbye to your eyesight. :tsk:
oh ok, what coulor is it, and do you know what i need for it? :)

jakeGT

yeah. I would suggest, first thing you do, is do some reading. And alot of it. Just becasue it's the cheapest 1,000mW laser you could find, you wanted it. So You need to read up on alot of stuff first before you even attempt this, and to tell you the truth, if you get it before you do read, ALOT, you will kill the diode. Which could probably be the best thing you've ever done. Being blind could not be fun, especially if you actually want to see your lasers. with which 808nm, you will not be able to.

Try a red module as bhwollen said first, and read alot about it, and understand what you are working with, and how it works. There is a reason above 5mW lasers are illegal in the US and most countrys, because if somebody who does not know what they are doing grabs one, and says oh wow, it says 1,000mW 808nm, and I think it's on but i do not know, why don't I just look straight into the laser? and boom, instant blindness.

Search the forums, and read everything. Go to the saftey section first, many many NEEDED TO BE READ threads out there!

Hope your lazing goes well for you, and hope you become addicted, and safe, like many many people, including me, have

i guess so, i just wanted one that makes a good beam through the sky and goes a long way and can burn stuff so i thought, most powerful will do. what would be the best one i want? :yh:

jakeGT

well as I said, 808nm is INVISIBLE to the human eye. Check out a 100mW or less green. That will be PLENTY for you. Sending PM with more useful info.

I got a Super Beast #100 (100mW greenie) from ItemQuickShip as my first >5mw laser. It can burn thru black electrical tape - albeit slowly.

It makes a very bright, tight spot, nice beams at night, and it won't burn your eyes out in a tenth of a second (goggles recommended when using anywhere a reflection could hit you)

and it arrived quickly, as the name suggests.

(I did need to expand the battery spring and the focus wasn't too tight, but I adjusted accordingly)

Good deal, good service, and NO, I am not affiliated with IQS in any way, other than the one satisfactory purchase made...