Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

100 Watt LED Version 2

Subbed. Too cool. Maybe a 100w UV in case of zombies. I wonder if an aio liquid CPU cooler system would work out in this application. I have 4 16ah 6s loops looking for a purpose.

Last edited:
I've watched few of youtube videos of similar builds in the past, could be your's I'm not in the know here yet, but a question, is the insane heat-sink absolutely necessary? ofc no harm there, it's just appears like the grey area of people who install the loud open exhaust systems in their cars saying that the stock is choking the engine (engineers facepalm)

1. If I were to build this, would I get away with a passive heat-sink?
2. What is the max operating temperature of that LED?
3. Is the maximum current/voltage determined by the operating temperature the emitter can handle before melting?
3b. If this logic implies, overclock? :D

jayrob

I've watched few of youtube videos of similar builds in the past, could be your's I'm not in the know here yet, but a question, is the insane heat-sink absolutely necessary? ofc no harm there, it's just appears like the grey area of people who install the loud open exhaust systems in their cars saying that the stock is choking the engine (engineers facepalm)

1. If I were to build this, would I get away with a passive heat-sink?
2. What is the max operating temperature of that LED?
3. Is the maximum current/voltage determined by the operating temperature the emitter can handle before melting?
3b. If this logic implies, overclock? :D

Yeah I never went and researched those questions but there is a lot of information to be had out there on similar builds that you can just do some searching to find answers...

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Put it this way, I brought myself a 10W 385nm LED once and without cooling it heated up to around 100 degrees Celsius. My acrylic light nearly warped under the heat. I had to go out and get myself a radial finned heatsink and cpu fan just to cool it. I wouldn't want to think what your 100W would need. I have no experience with LED's of that power, but I can imagine you need cooling as if you have a 100-150W YAG laser. Water cooled with distilled water. And a massive heatsink. Use Jayrob's advice and have a look around. :)

now that i look at it again, and it does say 100W, i guess that's sensible, don't understand the false claim that LED produce no heat, i heard that only faulty LED produce heat, because a diode should not have any resistance, so if any diodes are damaged or have been damaged during the assembly - they will create resistance, and heat, is that why they get hot?

jayrob

now that i look at it again, and it does say 100W, i guess that's sensible, don't understand the false claim that LED produce no heat, i heard that only faulty LED produce heat, because a diode should not have any resistance, so if any diodes are damaged or have been damaged during the assembly - they will create resistance, and heat, is that why they get hot?

All light sources put off heat...

Led's are more efficient and so they are less heat per amount of light, but still heat. Can't get around that.

Volts X Amps = Watts...