Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

-10 degree celsius and still going strong

Hey,
as a new user, I have some questions I hope some of you can answere:thinking:.

I need a laser that work efficient in -10 degree celsius, but I can't find such a laser. I have been viewing for it in ealier threads, but without luck.

Do any of you know any lasers that are working under those conditions.

Jonas

HIMNL9

laser DIODES (IR, red, blue, BR) don't have usually problems (except for the fact that they can shift a bit the wavelenght) at low temperatures.

A different thing are DPSS laser modules (green, as example) ..... they work very bad at lower temperatures, and can also not work at all under 0C.

I need one that have battery for at least 3-4 workinghours and have a bright clear pointer at distance of 10-15 meters. I have bought 3 different pointers, but they all have difficulties in weather with temperatures around -10 degrees.

HIMNL9

They was green pointers, i guess ..... a normal red pointer will not have so much problem (if well built)

You probably need a 635nm / 640nm pointer, more visible than 660nm ones, also if not so much as green ones.

Hmm.. I have 2 green and one red, so that could be the problem, I guess. There are a billion different lasers. Do you know any that is tough (can handle temp. down to -10 degrees celsius) and reliable, have a long batty-time and is perfekt bright/visible at 10-15 meters.

HIMNL9

Can i ask you for what you are planning to use them ?

Cause, any 40mW or similar 638nm, or 100mW 655/660nm red units can produce a bright spot at 10 or 15 meters, but those powers can be dangerous to be used in public and without control, or without wearing appropriate safety goggles for red lasers (any over-5mw laser is potentially dangerous, both for direct and specular reflection to eyes, cause the time of reaction of the lid is insufficent for protect the retina ..... i mean, between the time the beam hit your eye, and the moment the lid close for automatic reaction, the retina can already become irreversibly damaged)

EDIT: also, batteries don't work too good at very low temperatures, have you also considered this ?

Last edited:
I am working with risk trees. Trees that are attacked by fungies, insects or have fysical damages from lightning, wind or human accidents. I need a workingtool so I am able to point on those factors, so those who are paying knows why I want the trees felled/cut down

Last edited:

mikzip

No problem, just carry it in an inner pocket and take it out when you have a use for it, did it all the time with a high powered green this winter in Greenland :beer:

mikzip

Measured between 250 and 300mw on my LPM, by the way the same was true for low powered pens 20-30mw :)