Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1 watt handheld IR laser

I am intrested in this one:

cgi.ebay.com/1000mW-808nm-Infrared-Laser-illuminator-Flashlight-2km_W0QQitemZ220190316441QQihZ012QQcategoryZ40970QQcmdZViewItem

I know it´s a IR, so it won´t be visible for the eyes. but does it burn stuff like a green 1000mW would do? or is it any different when it´s ir?

Does anyone think that this is a good laser?

// Emil

Aseras

well first off it's zonestealth so run very far away...

IR will only burn what the ir is absorbed into. Generally that's dark materials. SOme dark materials though are transparent to IR and it won't do anything to them.

if the material doesn't absorb the energy and reflects or transmits it there's no heat and no melting or whatever.

Aseras said:
well first off it's zonestealth so run very far away...

IR will only burn what the ir is absorbed into. Generally that's dark materials. SOme dark materials though are transparent to IR and it won't do anything to them.

if the material doesn't absorb the energy and reflects or transmits it there's no heat and no melting or whatever.

Does anyone know what material the IR wouldn´t react to?

// Emil

Just so you know, I purchased the 3 watt version of this laser from the exact same e-bay seller. Mine measures at 350mW and it bounces all over the place from 0mW -350mW very unstable. Go ahead and buy from him but don't expect 1 watt.

yobresal said:
Just so you know, I purchased the 3 watt version of this laser from the exact same e-bay seller. Mine measures at 350mW and it bounces all over the place from 0mW -350mW very unstable. Go ahead and buy from him but don't expect 1 watt.

i don´t expekt 1 watt, but mabye 50% or somewhere near that.

uniball86 said:
[quote author=Aseras link=1201637137/0#1 date=1201640740]well first off it's zonestealth so run very far away...

Does anyone know what material the IR wouldn´t react to?

// Emil[/quote]

afaik coke is transparent to IR.

You can check for yourself: get a cheap camera w/o IR filter and an IR diode (remote works, stronger is better) and check all the objects for transparency. If you can still se the IR dot on the screen if the object is between them, it's transparent.

Although it seems like false advertising, you kinda have to see where he's coming from. He's marketing this as an IR flashlight, and flashlights (like a 1W LED flashlight for example) are rated by their INPUT power rather than the OUTPUT. He's telling his customers his product will output about the same (if not a little more) light than a 1W flashlight. If he were to list it as 100mW laser, he may not get a very large customer base.

Well if you do buy one from him I hope you get at least 50% of the specified maximum output. Mine is closer to 12%. In the auction description the output says <<1000mW. I believe he may have doubled up on the less than intentionally.