Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Yellow Star Pointer?

Hey all! I use lasers exclusively for astronomy. I'm a volunteer at our local observatory and primarily use a Sanwu 80mw 532nm pointer for star pointing. All of our members use 532nm pointers, but I would love to use a different wavelength to stand out and be a little different than the rest. We have specialized training on using lasers in the night sky and are very careful to avoid pointing at all when an aircraft is spotted. We also never directly point at satellites or the space station just in case we are incorrect in our identification. Generally we use lasers to star point to a small group around us so beam visibility is important up to about 10-20 feet away.

I've been looking at the Laser 591nm (10mw) or the TinkerTavern 591nm (591-P Plus 30mw) lasers as potential star pointers. I recognize on all of the calculators they are like .1% of the beam brightness of a 532nm laser, but somewhere I read someone using 591nm lasers for star pointing and they liked that better than green lasers. Am I just dreaming and having wishful thoughts?

I've also been looking at 488nm lasers and I think those are beautiful too. Should I just go with a 488nm and call it good? I'd prefer yellow, but Cyan would be pretty cool too.

Thanks all!

It's really cool that you are interested to buy yellow lasers, in fact I have never considered buying yellow lasers.

At the same time, I ordered a C3 488nm 110mW from Jlasers and cyan laser is something I would recommend you for more power, visibilty, beautiful wavelength and better laser for the money.
Yes yellow might be cool but probably not visible enough...

I would go with 488nm cyan laser for better characteristics!

Hey all! I use lasers exclusively for astronomy. I'm a volunteer at our local observatory and primarily use a Sanwu 80mw 532nm pointer for star pointing. All of our members use 532nm pointers, but I would love to use a different wavelength to stand out and be a little different than the rest. We have specialized training on using lasers in the night sky and are very careful to avoid pointing at all when an aircraft is spotted. We also never directly point at satellites or the space station just in case we are incorrect in our identification. Generally we use lasers to star point to a small group around us so beam visibility is important up to about 10-20 feet away.

I've been looking at the Laser 591nm (10mw) or the TinkerTavern 591nm (591-P Plus 30mw) lasers as potential star pointers. I recognize on all of the calculators they are like .1% of the beam brightness of a 532nm laser, but somewhere I read someone using 591nm lasers for star pointing and they liked that better than green lasers. Am I just dreaming and having wishful thoughts?

I've also been looking at 488nm lasers and I think those are beautiful too. Should I just go with a 488nm and call it good? I'd prefer yellow, but Cyan would be pretty cool too.

Thanks all!
I would also recommend using 488nm over 591nm as it will be much easier to see. I have some 488nm diodes that output as low as 485nm and as high as 495nm too if you want something even more unique. All the "591nm" laser modules are actually 593.5nm from what I've seen as well. I can provide either wavelength if you're interested and you won't have to wait weeks or months to receive them. I only sell items that are in stock and most orders ship within 1 business day.

Back