Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Xhp70

Anyone use XHP70's? Im wondering how you guys are driving your leds as they use 6 or 12v. Im using mtnelectronics FET direct drive driver. Anyone else experiencing over heating problems in their builds?

There aren't many BLF members with xph70 builds let alone anyone here on LPF that I know of.

All I would say is be careful with that kind of setup. Some members have recorded a current draw in excess of 20A from a pair of HE2's in series.
You better have a good heatsink for it :p CORRECTION: That was with two HE2's in series and three xhp70's in parallel.

Last edited:
20A? o_O thats crazy

I draw 8 to 9 amps from 2VTC5 18650's and thats already 60w(led is rated at 32w). I can only run it at full power for a minute to two before I need to shut it down to prevent over heating. I thought lots of people had XHP70 builds at BLF (my build was 80$ ish). When the XHP is coupled with a deep reflector it has some crazy throw. Im actually using the stock heatsink for it (aluminium pill) and it seems to do fine.

As long as the LED is on a DTP (direct-thermal-path) MCPCB then there shouldn't be any issues with it burning up,
nor should there be any issues with using the stock aluminium heatsink. What host do you have this setup in?

With my above post the 20A figure was a severe exaggeration... the edited post explains what scenario that figure occurred in.

A single xhp70 maxes out at approximately 10A anyway.

Courtesy of Djozz

As long as the LED is on a DTP (direct-thermal-path) MCPCB then there shouldn't be any issues with it burning up,
nor should there be any issues with using the stock aluminium heatsink. What host do you have this setup in?

With my above post the 20A figure was a severe exaggeration... the edited post explains what scenario that figure occurred in.

A single xhp70 maxes out at approximately 10A anyway.

Courtesy of Djozz

I have the 6V led so I can DD it with 2 cells. That graph looks like its for the 12v version? That voltage vs amps graph seems weird as the led is being waayyy over driven(if in 6v config) or underdriven (if 12v). Im not sure how they are pushing 100w through the led without burning the led.

Anyways heres my build Im using the N4-1C bin on a sinkpadII copper mcpcb (which is direct thermal path)

18650 for scale (the pill is tiny)

20150907_095909.jpg

20150907_095928.jpg

20150907_100135.jpg

20150907_100156.jpg

Last edited: