Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

would an xbox 360 hd dvd drive work?

Would it work as well as a blu ray player for making a blu ray laser? I know they both use violet colored diodes, but I'm not sure about the wattage output.

They are probably all made by the same manufacturer, I don't think there would be any difference whatsoever. \

MERC

you could just get a ps3 sled for 25 instead of 50 for the hd dvd drive

I gutted an 360 HD-DVD drive a while back but was unsuccessful at harvesting the violet LD. Either I killed the violet from ESD or while trying to determine the pinout.

The lens assembly model# is PHR-903T, It has what appear to be 2 LD's. a 3-pin and a 4-pin . Significantly less intricate optic setup and overall build quality then the PS3 lens assembly. The LD's are also more annoying to remove, they are glued into recessed mounts so you have to chip the mount away with clippers to get them out. overall it seemed cheap compared to the PS3 lens assembly.

The 4-pin can has the IR and red diodes in it, may have had the violet as well but I don't know. The can case is ground and tied to one of the pins. I couldn't determine anything conclusive about the 3-pin can nor do I remember if any of its pins were tied to the case.

Neither can had any codes, markings, etc. visibly on them to determine who made them. However, the 3-pin can had a tiny matrix style barcode similar to whats on the label of the PHR-903T assembly (see replacement lens reference below for a pic) under the polymer PCB its ribbon cable was soldered to. I doubt that would be much help determining who made them anyway.

Reference:
I can't post links so just gona have to copy and paste.

You will need a Torx 9 bit and some very small philips (crosshead) bits to take the HD-DVD drive apart.

Disassembly Guide is here - llamma.com/xbox360/repair/Xbox_360_HD_DVD_drive_disassembly_tutorial.htm
Replacement Lens Assembly - psxboy.com/804_XBOX360-PHR-803T-Laser-Lens.html