Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Worried about potential eye damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

SentientVoid

I'm on a vacation with my family to albania and while walking around someone shined a fractal looking laser at the floor and it caught my attention and I soon bought that laser, he showed me that I could take the top off to make it a normal laser pointer, he also wasnt that careful with laser and was moving it alot and was pointing it at building but never did it directly go in anyones eye, We walked to the beach and shined the laser in the water about 25 to 50 meters away for about 5 minutes, since I was aware that this was a powerful laser but I didn't know how much
I stopped once I found out it was a 100mw? 532nm brand less laser
my eyes feel "off" and I feel lightheaded but I can't see any actual damage to my vision, my eyes feeling "off" could simply be explained by my glasses getting a bit scrached up or my mind making it since I got this same feeling in my eyes when I played with a magnifying glass in the sun many years ago just not as strongly also none of my family feels anything.
I could go to the eye doctor but I'm in albania for 2 more weeks and they generally arent very good here anyway.
Should I be worried or I just being paranoid?

I highly doubt any real damage occured since nothing reflected into your eyes. I think it maybe be a placebo that youre experiencing due to your fear of lasers. But if you actually feel like something is off. SEE A DOCTOR ASAP. The more time you waste if you do have eye damage the worse it can progress. Its really up to you if you feel any real damage yes see a doctor and get it checked.

I'm on a vacation with my family to albania and while walking around someone shined a fractal looking laser at the floor and it caught my attention and I soon bought that laser, he showed me that I could take the top off to make it a normal laser pointer, he also wasnt that careful with laser and was moving it alot and was pointing it at building but never did it directly go in anyones eye, We walked to the beach and shined the laser in the water about 25 to 50 meters away for about 5 minutes, since I was aware that this was a powerful laser but I didn't know how much
my eyes feel "off" and I feel lightheaded but I can't see any actual damage to my vision, my eyes feeling "off" could simply be explained by my glasses getting a bit scrached up or my mind making it since I got this same feeling in my eyes when I played with a magnifying glass in the sun many years ago just not as strongly also none of my family feels anything.
I could go to the eye doctor but I'm in albania for 2 more weeks and they generally arent very good here anyway.

61Nig6AcooL._AC_UL115_.jpg

>>>Warning<<<

"If you think you need medical help or attention for an eye injury or any other medical problem, you probably do."
"If you have been hit in the eye with a laser and feel you have suffered any type of eye injury as the result of an accident with a laser that may need medical opinion or treatment,
go to a hospital Emergency Room and/or consult a qualified Board Certified MD Ophthalmologist ASAP.
LPF is a laser hobbyist website, not physicians, and cannot give any medical or legal advice.
No professional medical or legal advice is available or possible on LPF"

For additional information see laserpointersafety.com here:
Laser Pointer Safety - What to do if you are hit by a laser pointer or laser pen

There is really no way for us to tell if any damage occurred. There are far too many factors at play in these kinds of situations. Exact power, angle, how reflective everything was, etc, etc. It would be like asking "Will I be hurt if I crash my car at 20 mph". Too many different factors: Into what? What angle?, What type of car? What exact direction were you looking and posture were you in at the moment of the collision?

As posted above, LPF is a hobbyist forum, so we cannot offer any medical or legal advise. Best thing we can say is that if you feel something is wrong, then go and see a medical professional.

Unless you took a direct hit to the eyes, or were trying to burn objects up close and staring at the spot, there is not much to worry about.

61Nig6AcooL._AC_UL115_.jpg

>>>Warning<<<

"If you think you need medical help or attention for an eye injury or any other medical problem, you probably do."
"If you have been hit in the eye with a laser and feel you have suffered any type of eye injury as the result of an accident with a laser that may need medical opinion or treatment,
go to a hospital Emergency Room and/or consult a qualified Board Certified MD Ophthalmologist ASAP.
LPF is a laser hobbyist website, not physicians, and cannot give any medical or legal advice.
No professional medical or legal advice is available or possible on LPF"

For additional information see laserpointersafety.com here:
Laser Pointer Safety - What to do if you are hit by a laser pointer or laser pen
This is all that is needed. No need to respond further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back