Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wiring a HeNe, help needed please

Hi, I have a Melles Griot 5mw HeNe laser that I am trying to wire up with no luck. I have wired up one before but with a different (voltex) power supply, using that power supply this laser works but on the (Laser Drive inc) power supply it doesn't. I was hoping someone could shine some light on how to wire up the power supply with the white, yellow and green wires. Using a regular 110V AC power adapter that plugs into the wall with two wires. Any help would be great, thank you.

Attachments

• 0314151828a.jpg
    0314151828a.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 0314151828.jpg
    0314151828.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 0314151842.jpg
    0314151842.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

diachi

Hi, I have a Melles Griot 5mw HeNe laser that I am trying to wire up with no luck. I have wired up one before but with a different (voltex) power supply, using that power supply this laser works but on the (Laser Drive inc) power supply it doesn't. I was hopping someone could shine some light on how to wire up the power supply with the white, yellow and green wires. Using a regular 110V AC power adapter that plugs into the wall with two wires. Any help would be great, thank you.

What do you mean by "110V AC power adapter"? As in an adapter that plugs into your wall and converts 110V AC to some DC voltage such as 12V DC? This PSU needs 110V AC - Not sure on the wiring though - Green I'd assume is earth, and the other two are your hot/neutral. I'm not sure which way around they'd be though, or if they'd even be polarity sensitive.

Last edited:
What do you mean by "110V AC power adapter"? As in an adapter that plugs into your wall and converts 110V AC to some DC voltage such as 12V DC? This PSU needs 110V AC - Not sure on the wiring though - Green I'd assume is earth, and the other two are your hot/neutral. I'm not sure which way around they'd be though, or if they'd even be polarity sensitive.

Yes, its a adapter that plugs into the wall with two wires on the other end.
AC Adapter 120V-60Hz 12V=1.5A

I've tried wiring it up but not getting anywhere. Need to know how to wire it up properly.

diachi

Yes, its a adapter that plugs into the wall with two wires on the other end.
AC Adapter 120V-60Hz 12V=1.5A

I've tried wiring it up but not getting anywhere. Need to know how to wire it up properly.

That's most of your problem right there - This power supply requires mains power, in your case 120VAC - Says so right on the label.

Not sure on how it should be wired though - How many wires for input are there and what colours are they?

That PSU will run from either 115V or 230V depending on how you wire it. For 115V, connect the white leads together. That is your mains "hot" lead. The yellow is your neutral lead, and green is ground.

(For 230V, the two white leads are your mains input and yellow is unused.)

That's most of your problem right there - This power supply requires mains power, in your case 120VAC - Says so right on the label.

Not sure on how it should be wired though - How many wires for input are there and what colours are they?

I have the correct power supply. 120v ac adapter. White, green and yellow as advised in first post with pictures

That PSU will run from either 115V or 230V depending on how you wire it. For 115V, connect the white leads together. That is your mains "hot" lead. The yellow is your neutral lead, and green is ground.

Cool, thank you. I will try that when I get home

Ok, so I just connected it this way and nothing. I'm pretty sure that means the power supply is bad, correct?

diachi

Ok, so I just connected it this way and nothing. I'm pretty sure that means the power supply is bad, correct?

You connected it directly to the mains output from the wall, correct?

You connected it directly to the mains output from the wall, correct?

Yup, it works with the other (voltex) power supply from my other hene laser. Just wanted to confirm that this (laser drive inc) power supply was bad. Thanks

diachi

Yup, it works with the other (voltex) power supply from my other hene laser. Just wanted to confirm that this (laser drive inc) power supply was bad. Thanks

Ahh ok, unfortunately not the easiest things to fix as those power supplies are usually potted in epoxy.

Ahh ok, unfortunately not the easiest things to fix as those power supplies are usually potted in epoxy.
Yup. I have a broken Voltex supply that came with a HeNe. Personally I believe they use alien armor technology to make them impossible to open.